Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TamarianG Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 122091  
Subject: Good night, sweetheart Date: 6/12/2003 10:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 75
Well, I finally took Briana to the vet today. She's been in a steep decline for the last few weeks, and yesterday she started showing signs of real pain. The kind that makes even a reluctant owner sit up and say, "OK, that's enough."

It went about how I expected: they offered to do six thousand different tests involving a lot of pain and torment for her so that we could know exactly what was killing her. But cold hard reality reared it's ugly head; it would likely buy her little or nothing, and the little it bought wasn't going to be fun.

Soooooo, she's gone now. She'd been brave long enough; it was time for me to be brave and let her go. I hate real life, sometimes.

She weighed in at 2 pounds, 7 ounces - almost exactly what she weighed when I found her hiding in the bushes by my apartment eight years ago. So thin, so weak and pitiful. When I found her, she had almost no fur at all, her body covered in flea bites and scabs. What a mess she was! And what a beauty she blossomed into, silky long gray fur and a heart-shaped face. People hadn't been very nice to her before we got her, but she had the sweetest temperament right from the start. In those early days, she'd lie on my chest and sleep with her paw curled up on my neck. A snuggler and a nuzzler. And a talker! At first she could barely manage to make a noise, but as she gained her strength back she would sit and "talk" at great length with me. Especially when I was on the phone.

She was our nurse kitty, too. Any time I was sick, she'd come in and sniff me from head to foot, then press herself up against my back and turn on the purr-vibrator. Sometimes she knead right against my kidneys. She once "cured" a case of food poisoning in just a couple hours for me. She always knew when something wasn't right, and she was always right there.

Eight years ago, the emergency vet told me she wouldn't last two weeks. He said she had been too badly neglected, was too emaciated; and even if she did survive, he said, she probably wouldn't make a very good pet. She'd be traumatized, he said, she'd be extremely nervous around people, she'd be skittish in the extreme and possibly hostile.

She survived, she thrived, she returned any affection given to her ten-fold. She was the dearest little fur-person, a good companion, patient with our human kittens tugging on her tail or patting her head until she was darn near concussed. She even had a knack for age-appropriate response, from walking away from infants to putting an oddly gentle claw into an offending preschooler. She gave all the affection of her, all her life.

Good night, sweetheart, sleep well and wake young again, OK? You're going to be missed down here, very much. I'm sending a memo up there tonight, let them know how much you love to play with broken harp strings. I'm sure there's at least one angel up there willing to twitch one around for you. And now, you can go after it again.

Onward!
Tamarian
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: parger Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50372 of 122091
Subject: Re: Good night, sweetheart Date: 6/12/2003 10:48 PM
Recommendations: 0
<<<<<<<<<<<<Tamarian and Family>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It is so very hard to let go of them, but I think that it's wonderful that you gave her eight years of being loved and cared for, and then were able to make the difficult decision to spare her any pain.

Author: JELAMAR Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50377 of 122091
Subject: Re: Good night, sweetheart Date: 6/12/2003 11:35 PM
I know you felt that this was coming but it isn't easy. You are a good Mom and did right for Briana. I hope that your heart will be filled with all happy memories soon.
with love, jane and cats

Author: kathy3023 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50379 of 122091
Subject: Re: Good night, sweetheart Date: 6/13/2003 1:18 AM
It's always hard, but I bet she thanked you for letting her go.

{{{{{ Tamarian & Family }}}}}

Author: birdmom Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50381 of 122091
Subject: Re: Good night, sweetheart Date: 6/13/2003 1:25 AM
Recommendations: 1
((((((((((Tamarian))))))))))

You gave Briana a great home and she returned the favor with her love. You just had to give her the hardest, most loving thing you could - release from pain.

Judi

Author: neverabridesmaid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50386 of 122091
Subject: Re: Good night, sweetheart Date: 6/13/2003 8:33 AM
Dear Tamarian,

Thank you for telling us about Briana's wonderful life...wonderful when it began with you. Every beautiful memory will keep her with you forever.

Yes..."onward"! There is never nothingness...only change.

Many hugs and healing thoughts,

-nab

Author: mikeg1382 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50389 of 122091
Subject: Re: Good night, sweetheart Date: 6/13/2003 8:50 AM
My heart goes out to you as I know and share your pain. Here's hoping you find a new fur friend soon and never forget the one he will replace.

Mike in NJ

Author: tlbate Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50391 of 122091
Subject: Re: Good night, sweetheart Date: 6/13/2003 9:59 AM
Far too short a life for such a dear little companion. Briana is so fortunate that eight years ago she found you and you found her. My sympathy to you.

Terry

Author: Fallout2Queen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50396 of 122091
Subject: Re: Good night, sweetheart Date: 6/13/2003 11:44 AM
Soooooo, she's gone now. She'd been brave long enough; it was time for me to be brave and let her go. I hate real life, sometimes.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Author: millerpim Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50401 of 122091
Subject: Re: Good night, sweetheart Date: 6/13/2003 2:06 PM
You are a brave person and wise enough to know how to call the hard shots. You have my empathy. I'm sorry for your loss.

elizabeth

Author: swtx88 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50407 of 122091
Subject: Re: Good night, sweetheart Date: 6/13/2003 4:43 PM
So sorry to hear about your loss. Brave thing you did to not force her to endure the pain any longer.

{{{HUGS}}} from
Mary and "Lucky" (who also talks while I'm on the phone)
:)

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50416 of 122091
Subject: Re: Good night, sweetheart Date: 6/13/2003 9:05 PM
Tamarian:

I'm certain that you know that you not only gave Briana eight wonderful and unexpected years (despite the vet's prognosis) but you also gave her the gift that we humans find most difficult to give our animal friends and that is a journey to the Rainbow Bridge when it was most warranted.

She is most decidedly young there and happy and pain-free and able to deal yet again with "human kittens". But even more importantly, she knows that she was (and continues to be) loved and therefore she will be so ecstatic to see you again someday - regardless of how long it may be until then. In the meantime, she will have all the broken harp strings she desires and all the angels to play with.

I know how hard it was, but you know that you did the right thing. And Briana knows it too.

Christina

Author: tmksarah Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50623 of 122091
Subject: Re: Good night, sweetheart Date: 6/19/2003 1:16 PM
She weighed in at 2 pounds, 7 ounces - almost exactly what she weighed when I found her hiding in the bushes by my apartment eight years ago. So thin, so weak and pitiful. When I found her, she had almost no fur at all, her body covered in flea bites and scabs. What a mess she was! And what a beauty she blossomed into, silky long gray fur and a heart-shaped face. People hadn't been very nice to her before we got her, but she had the sweetest temperament right from the start. In those early days, she'd lie on my chest and sleep with her paw curled up on my neck. A snuggler and a nuzzler. And a talker! At first she could barely manage to make a noise, but as she gained her strength back she would sit and "talk" at great length with me. Especially when I was on the phone.
-__________________________________________

I am going to blow my computer up with the rain of tears falling on the keys....

God, why are the ones with the least amount of protection, give the most even after all of the abuse....

What a gift of God, your wee bundle of fur was and still is where ever she has been sent now.

I pray for you in your grief and for the wonderful memories your wee fur bundle will bring to you....as my dear Sarah still brings to me.

Theresa

Author: serenity321 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50643 of 122091
Subject: Re: Good night, sweetheart Date: 6/19/2003 3:53 PM
My heart is breaking with yours. I had to say goodbye to two of my own this week. Amazing, isn't it, how the ones who come to us the most neglected and abused always return the most love.

They are waiting for us.

Author: oceans50 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50654 of 122091
Subject: Re: Good night, sweetheart Date: 6/19/2003 7:56 PM
Beautiful words, Tamarian. There's a couple of mine welcoming her now...I'll send word.

Oceans50

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement