UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: slowlythere Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3081  
Subject: Re: Frustration with grassroot orgs Date: 1/3/2007 8:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Good point. Listen to your lawyer instead of someone on the internet. :)

Hi, I really hope you didn't take offense by my reply? I'm very frustrated with a lot of what I've been doing of late and beginning to second-guess everything. If I had offended, my apologies: I certainly didn't want to do so.

An oft-repeated maxim comes to mind now: "no good deed goes unpunished."

My reaching out to this particular non-profit recently was a step to hopefully provide support and comfort in some small fashion. Your reply (and all the other replies) to me was clearly in the same vein. Sometimes it seems, though, when we reach out - or do the unexpected, unnecessary, and perhaps respond instinctively - we get bitten. Good deeds sometimes come back to haunt us. That situation of my attempting to mediate between two combative former partners 10+ years ago (and some others as well) nearly put me at potentially significant legal (and financial) jeopardy because I was trying to (even if not completely voluntarily) smooth things out and "make nice" between people. It wasn't a good feeling to try and help others only to find out we seriously jeopardized ourselves in ways we couldn't have initially anticipated. It's happened to me many times in mostly small or subtle ways.

The thing that sucks about all this: I'm losing faith in my ability to help others or that my actions really make a difference, or mean anything. Maybe it's really a difference of learning to not overextend myself, correcting my altruistic ambitions, or simply not getting involved unless there's clear self-interest involved. Since I had such a lousy New Years Eve and New Years Day (and not just regarding this non-profit), I'm thinking it's a propitious indicator that maybe I should be more "selfish" in my direction this year. I really think I need to - as someone said to me when I mused about this current situation - setup my own clear mission statement for altruism/philanthropy and not deviate from that anymore.

Otherwise, not much of an update: I haven't contacted the non-profit in the last couple of days and just thinking about things at this time. I'll probably contact them by the weekend if I haven't heard from them and, then, predominantly to (hopefully) wrap up the primary project that I'm still working on for them. The result of the previous weeks, I'm nearly exhausted from chasing them down in trying to ask them what I can do, etc. The upside: *if* I do further volunteer work, I'll stick with better established and structured organizations from this point in time. My thoughts remain with their clients: I hope that they'll receive (find) suitable alternatives to this program.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Story Behind the Story
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement