Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Good question. My reply is framed largely in the context of 20 years in uniform. Risk is ferreted out by deep examination of subordinate orgs. The reason Clausewitz put at the top end of span of control, some 6-8 subordinate entities, is that one simply cannot effectively run more than that. The number of constituent holdings is so large now that we don't get mentions of See's or Mitek or Iscar individually.

The Reagan adage was a simple expression of this: Trust...but verify. A hotline is passive. We have Inspector Generals in the DoD because we should go and look sometimes.

I don't think he really likes to know, or to deal with issues like WFC has had to. The response was underwhelming when Sokol showed bad judgement. But again, I am a tough grader.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement