UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 12878  
Subject: Good Start! Date: 6/21/2011 3:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Knock some heads!

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20110621/WIRE/110629913...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12674 of 12878
Subject: Re: Good Start! Date: 7/3/2011 1:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Gotta give credit where credit's due:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405270230445060457641...

California's Governor Jerry Brown has always been one to surprise. His latest is this week's veto of card-check legislation, which would have allowed agricultural workers to unionize if a simple majority sign an authorization card... the bill would have denied employers the ability to demand a secret ballot election if labor organizers wanted to unionize through card check. This would have made it easier for organizers [translation: thugs] to intimidate workers into joining a union since workers' selections would no longer be concealed.

The UFW has been losing members for years as workers have chosen to decertify the union. For many workers the cost of their dues exceeds the benefits they gain through collective bargaining. Labor leaders hoped card check would shore up their dwindling rolls and give them more money to spend on elections.

Labor leaders and Democrats tried to pressure Mr. Brown into signing the bill by camping outside his office and chanting "Sí se puede." Their antics may have given the Governor some sympathy for the farm workers whose only protection against such hounding is the secret ballot.

"Sí se puede" is Spanish for "We want those union dues." Kudos to Governor Brown for resisting. I guess the $2 million he got from the prison guards' union was enough.

--fleg

Author: CCSand Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12675 of 12878
Subject: Re: Good Start! Date: 8/15/2011 1:26 AM
Recommendations: 0
fleg wrote:

"Sí se puede" is Spanish for "We want those union dues." Kudos to Governor Brown for resisting. I guess the $2 million he got from the prison guards' union was enough.

Pretty ironic considering it was Gov'r Jerry Brown that first allowed agricultural workers to organize during his first term as governor in the 1970s.

CCSand

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement