Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: BizKiffer Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 243  
Subject: Re: Here to learn more Date: 3/16/2001 2:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Good to see you here seansan! I love your comments on the Nokia board!

I am still very ignorant in regards to this company, and I would appreciate help in learning. I will do the best I can.

Well, let's start learning together then. I really am more of a pragmatic investor not so much focussed on numbers, so I have a lot to learn.

What exactly is Infineon, and why is it seperated in the Financial Statements?

You could start by going to http://www.infineon.com/ and look around. I feel it is a huge company on its own. All of infineon belonged to Siemens earlier and it was floated last year with one of the most spectacular stock offerings in germany, I think the biggest one yet. So it is a totally independant company but I think Siemens still holds something like 70% or something, you can probably tell me the exact % in a bit :)

This is also why Infineon and Siemens are still tied together tightly in the stock price. Infineon goes up, Siemens goes up and vice versa. Siemens has said already that they plan to go out of the company over time bit by bit. They do not have a need to sell their shares all at once but want to diminish their holding of Infineon.

Infineon itself is a chip company. They produce chips (duh! :)) Here is more info: http://www.infineon.com/boerse/english/portrait1.htm

Some quotes.

They have 29000 employees, they are among the top 10 microtechonology companies and are growing fastest among them (year 98/99). Revenue is at 7billion Euros in fiscal year 1999/2000.
Customers include Bosch, Nokia, Siemens, Sagem, Lucent, Seagate, Compaq, Dell, HP, Gemplus, Schlumberger, Mannelmann and more.

Research is at 17% of total revenues spread among 4600 employees in 20 centeres. They have over 25k patents in 100 countries.

Here is an interesting for you:

Why was the company disincorporated from Siemens?

"Corporate legal independence from Siemens provides Infineon with the means to proceed more dynamically and act more rapidly in the very dynamic semiconductor business. As an independent company, Infineon is more flexible and can react more quickly to market changes; it can readily enter into partnerships with other companies and is also in a better position to gain Siemens competitors as customers.
Because Infineon carries on the semiconductor activities of the Siemens concern which has been in the semiconductor business since 1952, Infineon as a young company also profits from the decades of experience and important system-know-how in the field of electronics. "

That should roughly tell you what Infineon is.

In what foreign(non-German) countries is the most growth currently taking place? In what business segments? Do we predict this to continue?

I would have to look again but I think Europe and Asia are their main markets with Asia doing quite well at the moment. I would have to look at that again though. Most of this is coming from the top of my head. But with the recent drop in stock price I think looking at this a bit deeper is really worth while.

The really predict to grow fast. One thing to remember is that they just changed their entire philosophy. They moved to the GE type thing where they want to be in the first or second place in whichever industry they are in and if they are not, sell the unit, close it down, or restructure. They are also talking to analysts a lot more now.

I think this will prove to be a very powerful move for the future.

US President Bush has stated he wants a stronger Euro. Should the Euro rise significantly(say 1 to 1 vs. the $), would this seriously impact revenues?

More info would be needed on where their revenue come from. I would say it would be positive. I mean they are working globably and headquarters are in Germany. They are big in the US though and I don't know how independant the US company is.

And I absolutely agree with you that we should talk. I have really no idea about the financials of this company because I feel it is just so huge that it is hard to see everything. But I think I will print the year statement too now :)

Oliver aka BizKiffer
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

My Big Fat Greek Splat
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement