UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: suesilver One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1260  
Subject: Re: Getting ready to file Ch. 7 Date: 6/7/2004 3:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Good wishes for you, I have been through bankruptcy and my husband still dealing with fallout from his.

Personally I advise anyone who is considering bankruptcy to not do it, but you say you have done all the research and it is your only option. If that is true, the most important thing is not to live as though you have no debt, and never let it happen again.

I realized after my filing that I could have paid everything I owed through Consumer Credit Counseling and been done with it much sooner. I avoided further debt later by using them, and more recently visited them only to be told to follow a stricter budget for three months and then come back if I couldn't do it. Long story short, I made a big decision for me, I gave up my car. I was working, and lived near a bus stop, but it was a struggle adjusting to life with no car. Five years later I was an unofficial advocate for alternative transportation. I now have a beater that was gifted to me, but I would still use the bus for certain trips. I had to let something go, and I never thought I could live without a car, but I did.

When I met my husband-to-be, the hardest thing he had to tell me was that he had recently filed bankruptcy. He thought it was all discharged, but we are discovering a tax lien that we are just beginning to investigate. I know he feels he has let me down, but I know too well how easy it is to shrug off things that overwhelm you. Time and action are my remedies. We have some goals together that require us to face our money fears and I hope to see those goals realized soon.

I read on a enewsletter that I get,The Dollar Stretcher (www.stretcher.com) about a movement by doctors to lower medical costs by changing how they bill. It may or may not be helpful to you now that you have the bills, but I was impressed by its logic and intend to consider it for us. The website for the movement is www.simplecare.com. I do not take all advice at the Dollar Stretcher to heart, but have found interesting reading and some ideas that I like.

If anything I said was helpful, I am glad. Sometimes it just helps to remember you are not alone.

Suesilver
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Story Behind the Story
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement