UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 458981  
Subject: Re: Dotcom déjà vu Date: 12/13/2012 10:04 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Goofy, the Fed's currently provide a 30% tax CREDIT for solar systems. Some states and/or utilities also provide credits. The industry is strongly dependent on these credits. Both consumers and industry spokesmen say if the credits go away, the industry will die on the vine.

With the ongoing federal budget challenges, how confident should an investor be that the Fed credit will survive ad infinitem?

Maybe not. Maybe it won't matter.

The cost of materials of solar systems has declined 30% in the past two years (hence the bankruptcy of some US manufacturers) thanks to Chinese production.

Panels used to be 90% of installed cost. That is down to 70% (68%, actually, on average.) At some point it's reasonable to think that will decline to 60%, even 50%, since production of panels is really not so significantly different than production of other silicon products mass produced on wafers with increasing efficiency year after year. There is a point at which government support for such things would become unnecessary, just as it did for silicon chips, jet aircraft design, neighborhood recycling, the internet, or lots of other things which did not stand on their own at birth.

In my view it would be terribly short sighted to drop credits for renewables and chain ourselves back to fossil extracts, although we have been terribly short sighted before (and probably will be again.) But that is just my view, which is irrelevant in such things.

As I said there are risks in this business. Regulatory: power companies may no longer be required to purchase the energy at any price. Or at reasonable price. Or at inflated price. Subsidies may disappear. Production costs may not continue to decline. Homeowners may default. Flux capacitors may be invented and take over the industry. Home nuclear plants may appear for your basement. I don't know, it's "the future."

I thought your laughter at their "losses" versus "sales" metrics was misplaced, because the business model is un-traditional (if not entirely new.) I'm sure there will be lots of risks, and they may go upside down, or prosper, I have no idea. I hope they do well, but really, I have no idea. Nor, I should point out, do writers on the internet who know almost nothing about the company, including the segment of the industry they're in.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement