UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: WotPeed Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 190072  
Subject: Google drive syncing Date: 2/6/2013 4:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings,

Someone I'm working with wants to share files using Google Drive, which I've never used before, and I'm having trouble getting stuff to show up on my PC.

I installed the Google Drive app on my Windows machine and it appears to work fine. I made a test file on the PC, copied it to the Google Drive folder, and can see the file on the web interface to GD.

My colleague sent me a link to a folder he wants to share with me. I accepted and now I see the folder and its contents in the GD web interface under the category "shared with me". I selected that folder and clicked "add to my drive". It now shows up under the "my drive" category on the web interface, along with the test file I created. However, that folder does not appear in the GD folder on my PC. I then tried creating a test document on the Google website. I see that document under "my drive" but it does not show up in the Google Drive folder on my PC either. It appears that things are only syncing from my PC to the website, not the other way around

I've gone through the preferences of the GD app on my PC and it appears that all files are set to be synced.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Wot
Print the post Back To Top
Author: WotPeed Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183680 of 190072
Subject: Re: Google drive syncing Date: 2/6/2013 4:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Huh. I quit the Google Drive app on the Windows machine, then restarted it, and my files all show up. I then deleted one of my test files and it didn't disappear from the folder on my PC until I again quit and restarted the app.

Is that how it's supposed to work? Syncing only happens when you restart the app? That seems really lame. I'm used to Dropbox where the syncing happens automatically.

Either something's not working right on my end or Google's got a pretty lame solution.

Author: SvenHoek Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183681 of 190072
Subject: Re: Google drive syncing Date: 2/6/2013 6:22 PM
Either something's not working right on my end or Google's got a pretty lame solution.

I'm going with the former. Having used Google drive on a daily basis for the past few months I've found it to be an almost direct replacement for Dropbox. I'd try searching the help on Google for an answer. Is it possible that you have an AV program that's interfering with things.

Author: WotPeed Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183682 of 190072
Subject: Re: Google drive syncing Date: 2/6/2013 6:58 PM
Is it possible that you have an AV program that's interfering with things.

I do have a corporate AV thing installed so that's a possibility. It seems to have fixed itself but it took a long time. It still seems like changes made on the web site take way to long to propagate to my PC (like a couple of hours) but maybe it will work itself out eventually.

Author: SvenHoek Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183686 of 190072
Subject: Re: Google drive syncing Date: 2/7/2013 12:16 PM
I do have a corporate AV thing installed so that's a possibility. It seems to have fixed itself but it took a long time. It still seems like changes made on the web site take way to long to propagate to my PC (like a couple of hours) but maybe it will work itself out eventually.

That is strange. I just did a few tests to verify the response on my system and it's pretty quick. Whether I'm adding a file locally or through the web interface it instantly begins syncing.

Author: riprock45 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183687 of 190072
Subject: Re: Google drive syncing Date: 2/7/2013 1:04 PM
Corporate AV or maybe Firewall. If you can, check the firewall settings.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement