UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 61397  
Subject: Google Fiber Date: 11/24/2012 2:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Two analysts from BTIG Research went to Kansas City to see what Google's new cable-company killer, Google Fiber, is like.
What's it like?

It's awesome.

http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-what-google-fiber-is-li...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46356 of 61397
Subject: Re: Google Fiber Date: 11/24/2012 7:11 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
"The TV service is still lacking several obvious features and attributes, such as YouTube integration and HBO and other networks."

We watch several shows on HBO. Until they get that ironed out we won't be using Google Fiber. We watch True Blood, Boardwalk Empire, Treme, and a few other shows on HBO. I especially like True Blood.

Art

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46357 of 61397
Subject: Re: Google Fiber Date: 11/24/2012 8:11 AM
Google fiber is in , what, 4000 homes. Still a trial.

When they come up with the 100 billion to rewire America, serve all the areas of a town instead of cherry picking...you'll know they have arrived.

Their success, obviously, depends upon extracting more money from you each month for 'higher speeds'.

I already have fiber to my house with Verizon FIOS.

I'm not willing to pay hundreds a month for pay per view and 'on demand' services. maybe some are. my bill is already 'too high' for me.

t.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46362 of 61397
Subject: Re: Google Fiber Date: 11/24/2012 4:31 PM
I already have fiber to my house with Verizon FIOS.

I have ATT U-verse. The fiber does not come to my house; the last mile is twisted pair copper. Cable, which is co-ax, has faster internet service.

I know Verizon was putting fiber optic on the poles in NJ, but I would be surprised if you have fiber in your home. Mine uses the cable system co-ax in my house and some over the housewiring connections to avoid rewiring.

As to cost and speed, it is embarrassing that internet speeds in the US are slow compared to places like Korea, where they have invested heavily. Thank goodness Google is trying to work it out. We all hope they succeed.

I do not like your implication that the US is too large for high speed internet service. Too costly. We can't afford it. Slowly we will get there.

Author: rainphakir Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46363 of 61397
Subject: Re: Google Fiber Date: 11/24/2012 5:40 PM
Hi Tele
Just out of curiosity, would you be willing to reveal how much Verizon FIOS costs you?

Are you completely satisfied with it?

Is it their hardwire option?

Me? I have an iPad with a Verizon 4G LTE connection, and use it as a 'personal hotspot' for my laptop. I have 2G of 'data' per month, then it will cost me between $10 and $15 per gig after that. If I go even 1kb of data over a particular G milestone, I get charged for the next G. This is the 'agreement' I have, I understand it, and choose to be 'ok' with it.

I also have an android smart phone with data plan linked to the iPad plan (i.e. both units are subject to a total of 2G).

The two together run me $124/month.

So far, I've not gone over the 2G limit. I also do not download movies, only every once in a while do I surf youtube (in part because it will start and stop during the video), I don't listen to internet radio.

NO!!! the 4G LTE is NOT very good. It is a frustrating system... so much so that I finally switched the iPad and the Phone off of 4G LTE and am using the 3G function. It is 'good enough'.

Why do I keep it? I am 'home independent' - free from any geographic location. Part of my job is online. I've used the tablet and the phone for WORK needs, in the local wifi hotpots that have popped up all over Mexico and Central America. Wifi hot spots are far more ubiquitous outside the US than here in Tx, therefore I feel the need for the personal hot spot function.

The hot spot makes me 100% mobile. My 'home' has become 'where ever I am'. This 'home-independent' is a feeling that is, I suspect, akin to being 'financially independent', ... perhaps a subset?

:-)
ralph

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46364 of 61397
Subject: Re: Google Fiber Date: 11/24/2012 6:03 PM
Recommendations: 2
"As to cost and speed, it is embarrassing that internet speeds in the US are slow compared to places like Korea, where they have invested heavily. Thank goodness Google is trying to work it out. We all hope they succeed.

I do not like your implication that the US is too large for high speed internet service. Too costly. We can't afford it. Slowly we will get there. "

There are still places in the US that don't have wired telephone service.

SOuth Korea is very densely populated. Whole different story.

Embarrassing? What the heck you going to do with gigabit internet speeds? Other than shop faster on line line and go broke faster? Gamble faster in higher resolution?

Oh...you can't wait 20 minutes for a movie download. Want it in 60 seconds...wow.....somehow I can't see paying twice as much for that option since I've only downloaded one movie in my life.

Yes, FIOS is fiber to the house, but coax inside. But you can get like 100 megabit service IF you want to pay for it. For what reason I don't know unless you do 3D design from work and have a company server that can spit out data that fast........over the internet.

It's like HDTV>.. I haven' sprung for it, really don't see the reason to buy a new TV and pay another $12/month for HDTV.....when my TV dies, maybe I'll buy an HDTV to watch BlueRay movies on...that I can rent for a buck from RedBox....

The telcos are getting enough money each month from me.

The US is too large for 'universal gigabit access'....for at least the next 20-30 years. Until you have a need for it, you won't have it. A real need.

one of the reasons you don't even have cable TV in much of the US is that folks simply can't afford it. Satellite TV fit that bill......but still a lot of folks 'can't afford it' or don't want to. You think retired folks living in rural KY are going to rush to sign up for $100/month plus all sorts of extra cost programming ...when they live on $500/month pension or SS?

Until there are 'killer aps' that everyone wants, no one is going to rush for gigabit speeds.

t.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46365 of 61397
Subject: Re: Google Fiber Date: 11/24/2012 6:16 PM
"Hi Tele
Just out of curiosity, would you be willing to reveal how much Verizon FIOS costs you?"

t: It's $104 a month for the 'triple play' which is phone line, basic internet (like 3 meg/sec), and cable TV.....

I don't buy any extra cable channels like HBO or Cinemax or others.

Then add on about 25% in taxes and fees.

It comes with a wi-fi enabled router.

I got my main PC and I can add on all the devices I want. I have an old PC, a new Samsung Tab......both come up on the wi-fi

------------

"Are you completely satisfied with it?"

It's pretty good. It slows down every now and then...not sure if local congestion or what.

Otherwise, it works....

--------

"Is it their hardwire option?"

Fiber comes to the house. I saw them put it in.

I got a PC hooked up if that is what you mean. INside the house it's coax cable and CAT 5 and quad wire to the phone using existing phone house wires. I got 4 phones on it.

--------

t: I have a 2g/month data plan for my Samsung Tab.....for when I'm not in the house or near wi-fi. Seldom go over a 100 meg. just use it while traveling ....maybe 100 days a year at most. $20/month. Plus of course 25% in taxes and fees

-------

" the 4G LTE is NOT very good. It is a frustrating system... so much so that I finally switched the iPad and the Phone off of 4G LTE and am using the 3G function. It is 'good enough'."

t: Wow...you gave up the 'faster' better gee-whiz system that eats up battery power and missed out on all those super fast programs? You just demonstrated that until there is a need for 'faster speed' most people don't need it, want it or are willing to pay for it.

-------

"Why do I keep it? I am 'home independent' - free from any geographic location. Part of my job is online. I've used the tablet and the phone for WORK needs, in the local wifi hotpots that have popped up all over Mexico and Central America. Wifi hot spots are far more ubiquitous outside the US than here in Tx, therefore I feel the need for the personal hot spot function."

t: Great....I'm retired so I don't have that 'work function' to worry about......and sometimes even with wi-fi hot spots, you are better off logging in direct - get better speeds and much better security...

--------

"The hot spot makes me 100% mobile. My 'home' has become 'where ever I am'. This 'home-independent' is a feeling that is, I suspect, akin to being 'financially independent', ... perhaps a subset?"

t: My Tab with 2 gig data plan does the same. I seldom use it at home...use the big PC with the 24 inch monitor. A whole lot easier to use....much easier to type anything, and my tired eyes don't enjoy squinting at the smaller screen, and the different view screen you see on smart phones.

------

t: BTW, I own a slug of Verizon and AT&T stock , so please..y'all keep signing up for and using all them expensive dataplans, high speed internet, all those cable channels and movies on demand.....I love it when the dividends hit the bank account every 3 months.....

t.

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46366 of 61397
Subject: Re: Google Fiber Date: 11/24/2012 8:30 PM
We watch several shows on HBO. Until they get that ironed out we won't be using Google Fiber. We watch True Blood, Boardwalk Empire, Treme, and a few other shows on HBO. I especially like True Blood.

I've completely ditched cable and I watch everything either on Netflix or streamed from the network website, including all the shows you mentioned. The only real downside (which not a big downside for me) is that you have to wait until the shows are released on Netlix, or they are usually delayed by a day or so before they are available on line. That's not a problem for me, because If there is a series I like I enjoy sitting down and watching two or three episodes at a time.

For me, Google Fiber would be a big improvement on how I watch TV already, and it comes with a terabyte of cloud storage. The wife and I find that more and more we're just storing stuff like pictures and music in the cloud and accessing it from there. This could be pretty cool.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46367 of 61397
Subject: Re: Google Fiber Date: 11/24/2012 9:15 PM
Recommendations: 2
You think retired folks living in rural KY are going to rush to sign up for $100/month plus all sorts of extra cost programming

Yes, internet it optional. Yes, it should be. But it should also be available to those who want it.

I was on dial-up when I moved to St. Louis county in '06. DSL did not arrive until two years later. And in my town we have people who still do not have broadband access. They claim their kids have trouble doing their homework without it. Presumably they will access the internet via smart phones and tablet computers.

High speed internet is a relative term. We are all spoiled by graphics, color and video by internet, when most of what we receive could be handled by ASCII text. As more speed becomes available, more glitter is added. Its the style.

People who are stuck accessing the internet by dial up are at a major disadvantage. In my experience, slow connections often time out before the transmission is completed. A simple update from the likes of HP can take hours. Its a lot worse than waiting 20 min for a movie to download.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46368 of 61397
Subject: Re: Google Fiber Date: 11/24/2012 9:23 PM
It's pretty good. It slows down every now and then...not sure if local congestion or what.

I had this problem too with AT&T Uverse when I first got it. They started me at step 2 of their ten step internet service. I found that one bogged down when kids were texting (as at lunchtime at the local high school) or when neighbors were streaming videos. By upgrading to step 3, that problem was resolved.

I suspect its a matter of priorities. How internet capacity is allocated and how you rank in the system.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement