UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59773  
Subject: Google Maps Goes Underwater Date: 9/30/2012 6:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/google-maps-underwa...
Google Maps goes underwater: Street View technology now lets users tour oceans
Google dipped below sea level on Tuesday, rolling out new interactive underwater maps that allow users to explore coral reefs around the world while staying on dry land.
Users can now take a virtual tour of the ocean, exploring the coral reefs of six oceans, including Australia’s Great Barrier Reef, Apo Island in the Philippines, and Hawaii’s Hanauma Bay in the Pacific Ocean.
The underwater panoramas can be navigated just like roads, as users can zoom in and out and toggle right, left, up and down using the Street View arrows to “look” around a location.

video
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2012/09/30/exp-goo...
Google Maps Goes Off Road
Underwater Version of Street View
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45670 of 59773
Subject: Re: Google Maps Goes Underwater Date: 9/30/2012 7:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
"Users can now take a virtual tour of the ocean, exploring the coral reefs of six oceans, including Australia’s Great Barrier Reef, Apo Island in the Philippines, and Hawaii’s Hanauma Bay in the Pacific Ocean." - lindytoes

Hey Linda, If I ever win the lottery let's go to Hawaii and stay in a nice hotel near that Hanauma Bay and go snorkeling? I've always wanted to do that. I also want to go to a Luaua. Looks like fun to me! I've heard about that Hanauma bay snorkeling thing before and it sounds very interesting.

I bought a ticket to Tuesday Night's megamillions drawing this morning on the way to church and dropped off a Netflix DVD in the mailbox next to the service station I stopped at.

Art

Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45671 of 59773
Subject: Re: Google Maps Goes Underwater Date: 9/30/2012 8:36 PM
Recommendations: 3
Hey Art, sounds like a great idea. I'll start planning and make a list of stuff to pack since we will be wealthy by Tuesday.

Just today I researched taking a cruise to the Galapagos from Panama and it might just be too expensive for me. I couldn't find just a short-ish trip over there and back. The least I could expect to pay is about $1500. But I guess I'll be able to afford it after we become millionaires on Tuesday. Yay!

update on Panama

Heather continues to have more fun on her time off (which has been extensive since it is a Jewish school and there are lots of Jewish holidays in September). She has been on a boat trip to Isla Taboga in the Pacific and plans another after she gets some snorkeling gear. She's been on a rainforest tour.
She's planning a trip to the Bocas Del Toro islands http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bocas_del_Toro_Province and pictures http://tinyurl.com/9vdufkf
and a trip on a glass window train trip to the Caribbean near Colon: "The Panama Canal Railway is one of the great train rides of the world. Along with its colorful history, the railroad follows a picturesque path across the Isthmus of Panama. The line flanks the Panama Canal passing through lush rainforests, cruising alongside the Canal’s locks, through the historic Gaillard Cut and gliding over slender causeways in Gatun Lake." There she is going on a boat trip to an island for more snorkeling and fun.

It's like she's on vacation all the time.

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45672 of 59773
Subject: Re: Google Maps Goes Underwater Date: 9/30/2012 8:44 PM
Recommendations: 0

She's lucky. I had to work until I was 49 to achieve that.

Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45673 of 59773
Subject: Re: Google Maps Goes Underwater Date: 9/30/2012 8:53 PM
Recommendations: 2

She's lucky. I had to work until I was 49 to achieve that.

Actually, she is in Panama because the United States has decided it does not need math and science teachers. They don't mentor and the administrators don't care. The students don't care. The parents don't appreciate the teachers. And government has decided to cut back so much that it is now hard to find a teaching job. She escaped to a place where she might be appreciated. All the vacationing is on her time off, which is considerable. I think she made the right choice.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45680 of 59773
Subject: Re: Google Maps Goes Underwater Date: 10/1/2012 5:44 PM
"trip on a glass window train trip to the Caribbean near Colon: "The Panama Canal Railway is one of the great train rides of the world. Along with its colorful history, the railroad follows a picturesque path across the Isthmus of Panama. The line flanks the Panama Canal passing through lush rainforests, cruising alongside the Canal’s locks, through the historic Gaillard Cut and gliding over slender causeways in Gatun Lake." - lindytoes

Sounds like something you'd enjoy. Maybe ya'll can do that while you are down there? A trip to an island closer to where Heather lives would be just as enjoyable to me as a trip to the Galapagos Islands. Less tiresome. The Galapagos are not that close to the mainland.

Art

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45681 of 59773
Subject: Re: Google Maps Goes Underwater Date: 10/1/2012 5:48 PM
Recommendations: 1
"All the vacationing is on her time off, which is considerable. I think she made the right choice." - lindytoes

It's like John Fusco said to me, "if not now, when?" He was talking about himself and me but it is applicable to anybody who is getting up there in age. Now is the time for Heather to have an adventure. While she is young and still in good enough health to enjoy it. She should ride that wave as long and as far as it takes her in life. Another words, she should do what Aunt Pat did, and just teach and travel all over the world. As long as it continues to be fun. When it quits being fun, that is when she should quit.

Art

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45690 of 59773
Subject: Re: Google Maps Goes Underwater Date: 10/1/2012 11:11 PM
...she should do what Aunt Pat did, and just teach and travel all over the world. As long as it continues to be fun. When it quits being fun, that is when she should quit.

Is that what you did? Or are you having regrets and offering advice to do things differently than you did?

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement