UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ShelbyBoy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 54  
Subject: Google & trademarks Date: 4/14/2004 9:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-5190324.html

Excerpt:

Google plans to stop limiting sales of trademarks in its popular keyword advertising program, a high-stakes gamble that could boost revenue but also create new legal problems for the company.
The Mountain View, Calif.-based search provider quietly notified customers in an e-mail message on Thursday of coming changes to its trademark complaint policy.

Sheryl Sandberg, Google's vice president of global online sales and operations, on Monday confirmed the changes. She said Google in the next two weeks will begin allowing U.S. and Canadian advertisers to bid on any keyword, including trademarked terms, sold as part of its sponsored listings service.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: ShelbyBoy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44 of 54
Subject: Re: Google & trademarks Date: 4/14/2004 9:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I'm sure there will be some people who like this development and some who dislike it.

Question for those who dislike it - Should domain name registrars refuse to allow registration of domain names that include trademarked names? (assuming there was a practical way of doing it?)

Suppose I wanted to develop a site to sell collectible Coke items. Should I be refused the name "CokeCollectibles.com" if it was available?

ShelbyBoy

Author: Waltjc One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45 of 54
Subject: Re: Google & trademarks Date: 4/14/2004 11:40 AM
Suppose I wanted to develop a site to sell collectible Coke items. Should I be refused the name "CokeCollectibles.com" if it was available?

I don't think you should be refused this name unless someone actually uses the name CokeCollectibles.com as their web site. If someone uses this name, than you should be able to bid on the word cokecollectibles-r-us.com, etc.

I sent in a letter to have people taken off that were using our trademarks on Google, so I have dealt with this issue.

Walt

Author: ShelbyBoy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46 of 54
Subject: Re: Google & trademarks Date: 4/14/2004 3:04 PM
I don't think you should be refused this name unless someone actually uses the name CokeCollectibles.com as their web site.

If someone already has the name registered, I obviously wouldn't be able to register it. But that's not the point of my question. My question was whether a person should be able to register domain names that include a trademarked term - such as "Coke".

If someone uses this name, than you should be able to bid on the word cokecollectibles-r-us.com, etc.

I sent in a letter to have people taken off that were using our trademarks on Google, so I have dealt with this issue.

I don't understand your point Walt. Is it your opinion that it's OK for me to use Coke's trademarked name in a domain name but it's not OK for someone to use your trademark on Google?

Why is it OK for one and not the other, in your opinion?

Also, you indicated you sent in a letter. Doesn't this announcement mean Google is going to ignore requests such as the one you made in your letter?

ShelbyBoy

Author: Waltjc One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47 of 54
Subject: Re: Google & trademarks Date: 4/14/2004 3:33 PM
If someone already has the name registered, I obviously wouldn't be able to register it. But that's not the point of my question. My question was whether a person should be able to register domain names that include a trademarked term - such as "Coke".

Sorry, I totally misunderstood the question, or did not read it carefully. That is why I do not post very much. I am just too busy for this. People who has the time to post often, just must have too much time on their hands.

I don't understand your point Walt. Is it your opinion that it's OK for me to use Coke's trademarked name in a domain name but it's not OK for someone to use your trademark on Google?

Why is it OK for one and not the other, in your opinion?

I guess I do not see a problem advertising with the url cokecollectibles.com. but I can see "Coke" having a problem using "www.coke.com" as a keyword, and benifiting from this. I do not want someone using www.mycompany.com and linking to their web site selling the same product.

Also, you indicated you sent in a letter. Doesn't this announcement mean Google is going to ignore requests such as the one you made in your letter?

Yes, that is how I see this. It is good and bad for us. I can think of a few trademark keywords I would really like to use, that would benefit us more so than someone using our web site as a keyword.

Walt

Author: ShelbyBoy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49 of 54
Subject: Re: Google & trademarks Date: 4/30/2004 12:05 PM
...That is why I do not post very much. I am just too busy for this. People who has the time to post often, just must have too much time on their hands...

Wow. Things must have really become busy for you since you started this board. http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=20305594 Hopefully things will slow down for you soon.

ShelbyBoy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement