Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFHelical Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Coverage Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 39864  
Subject: Goon Date: 9/24/2012 10:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
From another thread.

P.S. - anyone see the movie Goon? I recall promos, but never saw it hit theaters, and it seems to be in video now.

I guess nobody, so I went ahaed and pulled it from Redbox last night. Not a good movie, and not one to watch with kids due mostly to language and groupies. But hey, I was entertained. Enough chuckle worthy scenes to make this worth $1. I would have loved if this had a few cameos of players and passed on a bit more of the hockey culture. Could have been a good framework for a really good movie, but instead provided just a passably entertaining one.

Ralph
Helical Investor
Print the post Back To Top
Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37013 of 39864
Subject: Re: Goon Date: 9/24/2012 10:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I saw it...tonight. Free from Netflix streaming.
Yeah baby!
Good movie. It entertained me.
SICKEST save ever from Blatt. And I mean that literally. It was bloody sick! As was the last fight against Rhea.

Laflamme, the stick handler but timid guy, had some nice moves.

It says it was based on a true story but I bet if so it was VERY LOOSELY based and most of it made up. Too "Hollywood" perfect for reality.

Author: philkessel Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37014 of 39864
Subject: Re: Goon Date: 9/25/2012 8:55 AM
re: Goon

let me quess it's the life story of
Brad Marchant!!!

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37015 of 39864
Subject: Re: Goon Date: 9/25/2012 9:50 AM
"Brad Marchant!!!"

Oh god are we not done with that yet. Sheesh.
Marchant has never done anything above 1% of what the dude in the movie was doing!
Even I don't agree with the "enforcement" level of the movie! But Marchant is well within my bounds of enforcement work.
I hope he kicks your teams a$$ (and teeth) this coming year! Go Brad!

Author: TMFHelical Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Coverage Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37016 of 39864
Subject: Re: Goon Date: 9/25/2012 9:58 AM
Brad Marchant!!!

No, Marchant is an instigator, not an enforcer. That role on the current Bruins is filled by Shawn Thornton. Instigators try to get the other team to take stupid penalties (often in retailiation). Teams with great power plays (Vancouver for example) use instigators to get an advantage. The Gretzsky led Oilers were famous for goading teams into penalties, though they were often satisfied with corresponding penalties resulting in 4 on 4s (thus a rule change). The 'enforcer' is ironically the one who often takes the penalty, as the role is to protect the teammates (especially the goalie) from cheap shots from instigators.

I had thought that Marchant's instigation was a problem, as the team did not have a great power play and was very solid 5 on 5. But, the Bruins clearly lacked a spark last year after Marchant got reigned in by the league. Many point to the Tim Tomas political issues, but I think the Marchant suspension was more a factor.

Ralph
Helical Investor

Author: FoolinGrapeApe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37019 of 39864
Subject: Re: Goon Date: 9/26/2012 12:06 PM
Brad Marchant!!!

Never heard of that player. Brad Machand I've heard of, but I've never heard of a Brad Marchant. Is he new???

Grape

Author: TMFHelical Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Coverage Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37020 of 39864
Subject: Re: Goon Date: 9/26/2012 1:09 PM
d'Oh

And I copied this mistake throughout my response. Groan -- out of touch is out of mind.

Author: FoolinGrapeApe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37021 of 39864
Subject: Re: Goon Date: 9/26/2012 1:13 PM
Recommendations: 1
out of touch is out of mind.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

Grape

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37024 of 39864
Subject: Re: Goon Date: 9/26/2012 8:12 PM
Recommendations: 1
"Never heard of that player. Brad Machand I've heard of, but I've never heard of a Brad Marchant. Is he new???"

Excuse me? I never heard of Brad Machand. I've heard of Brad Marchand. Is Machand new? <grin>

Author: FoolinGrapeApe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37025 of 39864
Subject: Re: Goon Date: 9/27/2012 7:20 AM
Excuse me? I never heard of Brad Machand. I've heard of Brad Marchand. Is Machand new? <grin>

DOH!!!

Grape

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37026 of 39864
Subject: Re: Goon Date: 9/27/2012 5:02 PM
Gotcha! LOL!
Even the mighty Grape slips up once in a while.

Author: FoolinGrapeApe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37027 of 39864
Subject: Re: Goon Date: 9/27/2012 5:07 PM
Even the mighty Grape slips up once in a while.

It was really a test to see if anyone was paying attention. Good news RB. You passed! LOL

Grape

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37028 of 39864
Subject: Re: Goon Date: 9/27/2012 10:09 PM
"It was really a test to see if anyone was paying attention. Good news RB. You passed! LOL"

Oh, phew! I'm glad to hear that it was just a test. My world view was collapsing thinking that the Mighty Grape was in any way flawed. That was a close one! ;)

And since I passed, do I go to heaven?

Author: FoolinGrapeApe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37029 of 39864
Subject: Re: Goon Date: 9/27/2012 10:51 PM
And since I passed, do I go to heaven?

Only if Bobby lets you in.

Grape

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37032 of 39864
Subject: Re: Goon Date: 9/30/2012 11:07 PM
"Only if Bobby lets you in."

Cool, no problem then! But he's not there yet!
Unless he's omnipresent, which is likely. ;)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement