UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 61159  
Subject: GOP Fact Vacuum Date: 9/1/2012 1:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/01/opinion/blow-the-gop-fact-...

The G.O.P. Fact Vacuum

. . . Lying is certainly nothing new in politics. One could even argue that it’s fundamental to politics. Saying incredible things in a credible way is the art; using math of vapors to sell dreams of smoke is the craft.

But Paul Ryan’s acceptance speech on Wednesday took things up a notch.
Sally Kohn, a contributor to Fox News, said:
“Ryan’s speech was an apparent attempt to set the world record for the greatest number of blatant lies and misrepresentations slipped into a single political speech. On this measure, while it was Romney who ran the Olympics, Ryan earned the gold.”

Business Insider called it “factually shaky.” A Washington Post blog called it a “breathtakingly dishonest speech.” Salon’s Joan Walsh said the speech was “stunning for its dishonesty” and contained “brazen lies.” Jonathan Cohn at The New Republic used the headline: “The Most Dishonest Convention Speech ... Ever?” . . .
. . .
fact-checking site PolitiFact’s tallies on Aug. 10 found that:

“Mitt Romney’s statements have been judged Mostly False, False or Pants on Fire 46 percent of the time, versus only 29 percent for President Obama. In the Pants on Fire category alone, Romney is more than four times as likely to suffer trouser immolation than the president. Nearly 1 in 10 statements by Romney earned flaming slacks, versus 1 out of every 50 for Obama.”
. . .
Yet the candidates are virtually tied in most polls.
. . .
If we allow our leaders to completely abandon any semblance of honesty, what do we have left? When rancid disinformation stands in the space where actual information should be, what will grow?

And how can a party that incessantly repeats the mantra that our rights were granted by God repeatedly violate a basic tenet of almost every religion: truth-telling? What does it mean when a party that trafficks in American greatness trades in human horridness?
. . .
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45131 of 61159
Subject: Re: GOP Fact Vacuum Date: 9/1/2012 3:31 PM
Recommendations: 3
If we allow our leaders to completely abandon any semblance of honesty, what do we have left? When rancid disinformation stands in the space where actual information should be, what will grow?

You mean, besides Fox News and the GOP?

--FY

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45132 of 61159
Subject: Re: GOP Fact Vacuum Date: 9/1/2012 5:01 PM
Recommendations: 1
"If we allow our leaders to completely abandon any semblance of honesty, what do we have left?"

An empty suit sitting in an empty chair, who votes 'present', can't do a budget, has failed the country in job creation and getting the economy going.....

On the other hand, we have GOv Mitt Romney....didn't do drugs like OWE-bama in high school and college (and maybe still till this day - once a druggie, always a druggie)...... straight as an arrow...

Yepper, clear choice...a lying Prez who is 'absent' most of the time.....

or someone who can fix the problems with the economy.

t.

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45136 of 61159
Subject: Re: GOP Fact Vacuum Date: 9/1/2012 5:51 PM
What? Fox News actually stated: “Ryan’s speech was an apparent attempt to set the world record for the greatest number of blatant lies and misrepresentations slipped into a single political speech. On this measure, while it was Romney who ran the Olympics, Ryan earned the gold.”

I think I'm having a heart attack.

Donna

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45137 of 61159
Subject: Re: GOP Fact Vacuum Date: 9/1/2012 5:56 PM
Recommendations: 0
I doubt Fox news said that. Maybe some lib reporter on 'the Five' might have tried to foist that off....but I really doubt it.

More likely it was on Comedy Central...where my niece gets her 'news'.....she's hopelessly in love with Obama.....ha.....she can't find a job. Either can her hubby who had to take an overseas assignment to earn some bucks.

t.

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45140 of 61159
Subject: Re: GOP Fact Vacuum Date: 9/1/2012 8:29 PM
Recommendations: 23
Tele, I hate to burst your bubble (actually, you could have done this yourself, but chose not to, but rather to spout your venom), here it is:

<<...2. Deceiving

On the other hand, to anyone paying the slightest bit of attention to facts, Ryan’s speech was an apparent attempt to set the world record for the greatest number of blatant lies and misrepresentations slipped into a single political speech. On this measure, while it was Romney who ran the Olympics, Ryan earned the gold.

The good news is that the Romney-Ryan campaign has likely created dozens of new jobs among the legions of additional fact checkers that media outlets are rushing to hire to sift through the mountain of cow dung that flowed from Ryan’s mouth. Said fact checkers have already condemned certain arguments that Ryan still irresponsibly repeated.

Fact: While Ryan tried to pin the downgrade of the United States’ credit rating on spending under President Obama, the credit rating was actually downgraded because Republicans threatened not to raise the debt ceiling.

Fact: While Ryan blamed President Obama for the shut down of a GM plant in Janesville, Wisconsin, the plant was actually closed under President George W. Bush. Ryan actually asked for federal spending to save the plant, while Romney has criticized the auto industry bailout that President Obama ultimately enacted to prevent other plants from closing.

Fact: Though Ryan insisted that President Obama wants to give all the credit for private sector success to government, that isn't what the president said. Period.

Fact: Though Paul Ryan accused President Obama of taking $716 billion out of Medicare, the fact is that that amount was savings in Medicare reimbursement rates (which, incidentally, save Medicare recipients out-of-pocket costs, too) and Ryan himself embraced these savings in his budget plan.

Elections should be about competing based on your record in the past and your vision for the future, not competing to see who can get away with the most lies and distortions without voters noticing or bother to care. Both parties should hold themselves to that standard. Republicans should be ashamed that there was even one misrepresentation in Ryan’s speech but sadly, there were many.

3. Distracting

And then there’s what Ryan didn’t talk about.

Ryan didn’t mention his extremist stance on banning all abortions with no exception for rape or incest, a stance that is out of touch with 75% of American voters." ...

And, here is the link:

http://nation.foxnews.com/paul-ryan/2012/08/30/kohn-paul-rya...

Donna

Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45143 of 61159
Subject: Re: GOP Fact Vacuum Date: 9/1/2012 10:13 PM
fact-checking site PolitiFact’s tallies on Aug. 10 found....
------------------
Not all fact checkers are reliable, including PolitiFact. The great thing about the Ryan speech is that everyone - and I mean everyone - was writing about the extreme nature of Ryan's lies, EVEN Fox. BTW Ryan came out today and said he misstated his marathon claim by about an hour. Will anyone trust this man to be one heartbeat away from Presidency? In a completely different way but eerily similar to Palin in his "rise and fall in helping Romney", Ryan is casting doubts on his qualifications to be VP and/or President. As people learn more about Romney's lies, the same thing is true of him being qualified to be President. We don't need another Tricky Mitt.

This was a great exchange, but if you don't want to watch all of it, at least watch up to about 3 minutes. Rachel Maddow fact checked PolitiFact; she no longer considers it a reliable source.
Post-truth Politics (video)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46979738/ns/msnbc-up_with_chris_...

The panel also talks about how fact checking has been outsourced by journalists to these "fact checking" groups but they are not all equal.

This explosion of actually calling out Ryan for his lies is refreshing.
Have you ever notice most of the time facts don't matter in the media? When did lying become so common that journalists accept it as "normal"?

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement