UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JoelCairo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1963151  
Subject: GOP gets what it wants: let's see how that works Date: 3/1/2013 1:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 36
Today the Republicans get what they want -- cuts in federal spending, made regardless of program, purpose, policy, or, in fact, the economic impact.

Couldn't be clearer -- for years, they've been wanting to cut spending, place elimination of the deficit asap as the key matter this country needs to face before all others.

They also have been saying -- over and over -- what the Speaker regrettably endorsed today: that laws passed by Congress under the Constitution, signed by the President under the Constitution, and approved by the courts as Constitutional are nothing more than theft.

I guess that makes a thief the equivalent of Congress -- and personal sovereignty reigns -- just don't call it anarchy, because the extremists of the right hate being called that.

But I digress.

The main point is that for a number of years, the GOP has argued -- despite its actions to the contrary -- that the first thing we should do to correct the economy is cut government spending, cut government investment, cut government regulation and protection, because then the economy will be free to soar and grow -- and maybe even trickle down.

This is the core of the right wing, misnamed the Tea Party, point of view. Everything -- liberty, equality, fraternity, pursuit of happiness, etc. -- is subordinate to the crime of government theft and interference. Cut cut cut.

That's the TeaPee view. And even Republicans who know that is nonsense and self-destructive have gone along. The let the TeaPee view dominate the House GOP, giving a political fringe minority control over the legislative branch of government.

Now they will get their way.

They have to argue that the cuts will not be painful, and that the economy will now boom, because that is what they have always said.

If the cuts cause pain, and hurt the economy, two interpretations will emerge:

First, what most of the country knows -- you don't cut spending to boost the economy, because the private sector cannot do it on its own.

Second, what the TeaPee extremists will argue -- that it was not enough.

But they have their goal -- cuts, pure and simple. By themselvess. Without any thought or planning going into the process, just across the board.

I hope that they have the honesty to admit that simple austerity doesn't work when it is shown not to, but I ain't holding my breath.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mobileye's Growth too Hot?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement