Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JamesBrown Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 443854  
Subject: GOP Pol: Kill your rebellious kids Date: 10/9/2012 10:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 54
Charlie Fuqua, Republican candidate for the Arkanasas legislature, takes his Bible seriously. That bit in the book of Deuteronomy, where parents haul their rebellious kids to the street to be stoned to death? (Deut. 21:18-21) Liberal Christians are quick to poo-pooh passages like that, saying that we live under grace, not law, and that there's no evidence that this barbaric practice was ever actually implemented, so calm down.

Not Mr. Fuqua. He thinks we should give "Death Penalty for Sass" another walk around the block, see if maybe that might not have a chilling effect on kids who are considering talking back to Momma.

The Arkansas Times reports[1] that Fuqua, a former member of the Arkansas legislature, is running again, and has the support of the Arkansas GOP and two members of Congress. In his 2012 book, "God's Law: The Only Political Solution," Fuqua writes:

The maintenance of civil order in society rests on the foundation of family discipline. Therefore, a child who disrespects his parents must be permanently removed from society in a way that gives an example to all other children of the importance of respect for parents.

But before you get all steamed at what might lead to random, indiscriminate slaughter of minors in the streets, Fuqua is quick to reassure us that there's a right way to go about this:

This passage does not give parents blanket authority to kill their children. They must follow the proper procedure in order to have the death penalty executed against their children.

Yes, as long as procedure is properly followed, everything should run smoothly. Besides, how many executions are we talking about, really?

Even though this procedure would rarely be used, if it were the law of land, it would give parents authority. Children would know that their parents had authority and it would be a tremendous incentive for children to give proper respect to their parents.

See? Probably no more than a few hundred kids would have to be executed by the state before the message sinks in. Have you seen how much kids share with each other on Facebook and Twitter these days? The important thing is, finally they would get the hint that parents are in charge.

If any kid doesn't seem to get that, well . . . just forward her a few Youtube videos of some adolescent executions, and she'll be keeping her room clean and calling her parents "Ma'am" and "Sir" in no time.

[1]http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2012/10/08/rep...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410591 of 443854
Subject: Re: GOP Pol: Kill your rebellious kids Date: 10/9/2012 1:00 PM
Recommendations: 13
Even though this procedure would rarely be used, if it were the law of land, it would give parents authority. Children would know that their parents had authority and it would be a tremendous incentive for children to give proper respect to their parents.

How is this different than the "honor" killings that are so roundly condemned (for good reason!) in Islam?

How is this different than enacting a Sharia court? (Other than it being Good Christian Theology, of course).

What is the PRACTICAL difference?

GSF

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410594 of 443854
Subject: Re: GOP Pol: Kill your rebellious kids Date: 10/9/2012 1:09 PM
Recommendations: 2

Those others are false religions, of course.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410607 of 443854
Subject: Re: GOP Pol: Kill your rebellious kids Date: 10/9/2012 2:21 PM
Recommendations: 1

Those others are false religions, of course.

exactly
"What's Practical got to do with it?" --Ike Turner

Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410609 of 443854
Subject: Re: GOP Pol: Kill your rebellious kids Date: 10/9/2012 2:34 PM
At the level of the OT there is no difference. All Abrahamic religions rely on a potpourri of Semitic myths. I find the irony of this most amusing.

Author: Ziege19 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410611 of 443854
Subject: Re: GOP Pol: Kill your rebellious kids Date: 10/9/2012 2:58 PM
Recommendations: 3
Well, if it's in a restaurant after 8pm I might be persuaded to look the other way.

Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410612 of 443854
Subject: Re: GOP Pol: Kill your rebellious kids Date: 10/9/2012 3:53 PM
Well, if it's in a restaurant after 8pm I might be persuaded to look the other way.

If it's in a restaurant after 8PM it's not the kids you should be blaming.

Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410617 of 443854
Subject: Re: GOP Pol: Kill your rebellious kids Date: 10/9/2012 5:23 PM
If it's in a restaurant after 8PM it's not the kids you should be blaming.

Stonings all around! It's the Christian thing to do.

--FY

Author: Beridian Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410633 of 443854
Subject: Re: GOP Pol: Kill your rebellious kids Date: 10/9/2012 7:13 PM
Recommendations: 3
While we are talking about stoning people, I think we should all follow the admonishment of Deuteronomy 18, namely that false prophets should be killed (don't get mad at me, it's in the bible!):

Deut. 18:20-22 (NIV) "A prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded him to say, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, must be put to death. You may say to yourselves, 'How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the Lord?' If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the Lord does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously..."

I love it. Basically if you utter sh!t (claiming to speak for god) that turns out not to be true, you are toast. Just think, if past generations had followed this practice we would be religion free today!

Author: kenora Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410635 of 443854
Subject: Re: GOP Pol: Kill your rebellious kids Date: 10/9/2012 7:35 PM
Recommendations: 0
Wow! He's a true believer!

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410637 of 443854
Subject: Re: GOP Pol: Kill your rebellious kids Date: 10/9/2012 7:43 PM
I wonder if he'd kill his own children.

Author: rmhj Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410641 of 443854
Subject: Re: GOP Pol: Kill your rebellious kids Date: 10/9/2012 11:49 PM
Happy 'loons, kenora! How many years now?

rj

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410656 of 443854
Subject: Re: GOP Pol: Kill your rebellious kids Date: 10/10/2012 10:20 AM
Overall I'm against it, but I'm thinking some public stoning might reduce the bullying problem in schools.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410668 of 443854
Subject: Re: GOP Pol: Kill your rebellious kids Date: 10/10/2012 11:44 AM
I'm pro-choice up to age 18.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement