UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3278  
Subject: GoT: A Dance With Dragons Date: 2/15/2012 11:36 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I'm about 2/3s through Book 5. Up to now I always knew I had another book available after finishing whichever installment - now I don't. Like the rest of the world, I'll be anxiously awaiting Book 6. Despite any flaws, it's just great storytelling still.

In any event, Martin has really given himself a heck of a task, and still more often than not comfortably pulling it off. My quibbles are pretty much the same - the violent sex stuff sometimes seems unnecessarily shocking - the torture stuff is shocking enough. Sometimes I think less could be more in the graphic sex descriptions, but perhaps I'm a prude at heart.

The other problem is keeping magic - religious or otherwise - from overpowering everything. And that goes for the three dragons as well although up to this point he's kept them pretty much in the wings, almost to the point of annoyance since denying the only "good" monarch left - Dany - what could be her real gamechanger. Not sure I care that much for the continuing story of one of the youngest Starks, and another has not shown up at all as yet. Some of the magic just seems too powerful to be ignored by so many for so long.

I'm looking forward to the HBO presentation continuing but cannot imagine how they can cover as much ground as the teaser suggests - looks to me like they're going way past Book 2. Got my fingers crossed.

Just got to the point where a certain character that had been missing, easily presumed dead, has now returned.

Hoping to get some catharsis with the death of another that seems to be living longer, and unharmed, than that character deserves - a long and exceedingly painful death is what I think is deserved.

Ken
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3211 of 3278
Subject: Re: GoT: A Dance With Dragons Date: 3/4/2012 10:20 AM
Recommendations: 0
I've finished Book 5. Not as big a wow ending as Book 3, but still ...

I am now in serious withdrawal, wondering if I'll still be around when Books 6 and 7 (or 8?) get published.

As far as I'm concerned, but for the unnecessarily, IMO, graphic sex stuff, Book 5 was as well done story telling as all that went before. I won't spoil things, but I am seriously concerned about the fates of certain characters, including a few neglected ones in this last segment.

At least now I can't be spoiled. Some of the Jonesing will be relieved come April 1 when the series on HBO is back.

Ken

Author: FordLove Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3212 of 3278
Subject: Re: GoT: A Dance With Dragons Date: 3/5/2012 3:20 PM
I am now in serious withdrawal, wondering if I'll still be around when Books 6 and 7 (or 8?) get published.

Let us hope he has learned to manage expectations.

My wife liked book 5. I haven't read it yet. I preordered the book, but it has been so long that I kind of feel that I need to reread the first 4 to remember everything going on. Given the Charlie Brown /Lucy experience I had with 5 coming out, I'm considering just waiting until 6 comes out.

My wife said to me, "Oh the next one should be out soon, he posted some of it to his blog"

I almost, but didn't, turn to the back of my hard cover of 4. It has a note that 5 is almost finished and should be out within the year, signed and dated in 2005.

Yea, I've been there before.

But if you liked that book, maybe you should try "In the Name of the Wind". Same sort of feel, supposed to be three books, the first two are out.

Ford

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3213 of 3278
Subject: Re: GoT: A Dance With Dragons Date: 3/5/2012 3:29 PM
"But if you liked that book, maybe you should try "In the Name of the Wind". Same sort of feel, supposed to be three books, the first two are out."

Thanks, but I have my stack of actual unread books to get back to, plus some eBooks already DL'd (including freebies Moby Dick and Stoker's Dracula).

I'm also considering The Hunger Games trilogy - yes, supposedly for a "teen" audience, but I keep hearing how good it is and at least as "adult" as the Harry Potter later books.

Ken

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement