UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Jmsb526 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35362  
Subject: Government has no record of my lost savings bond Date: 2/3/2011 9:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey, all. I have an issue regarding a paper U.S. savings bond that was given to me nearly 30 years ago on my first birthday by relatives (a married couple). I remember having the bond in my possession as a young child, because I can picture it in my mind. I kept it filed away in a file folder contained in a filing box in my childhood bedroom.

A few years ago, after realizing that the bond had been lost, I contacted the Bureau of the Public Debt to obtain a replacement. They searched their databases with my name and Social Security number and had no results. I then contacted the relatives who purchased it for me, and they contacted the representative at the bureau. The rep searched the databases using both their names and Socials, but those searches came up with nothing also.

None of our names have changed, and our Social Security numbers obviously have never changed. I don't understand why there is no record of this savings bond on file. I remember the bond, and I know the married couple who purchased it for me. What could be the explanation for why there is no record? And does anyone have any ideas as to how I could somehow replace the savings bond?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement