No. of Recommendations: 0
GPSpilot writes, in part:

I got married late in 1999. I have had a traditional IRA for several years but my wife has none. I know we can collectively now contribute $4000 per year as opposed to my
$2000 in the past, but how exactly do we do this?

A) Just send $4000 to my existing account this time, no changes required.

B) I'm required to add my wife's name to the account before I can contribute $4000, or

C) We must open a second account in her name, and send $2000 to each account.

To which I reply:

Your "sneaking suspicion" is correct. That's why they are called INDIVIDUAL retirement accounts. You cannot co-mingle the funds. She must open her own account, in her name - and, while not required, you are usually best off when sending in your contributions, to make out two seperate checks for $2K each. Sometimes some brokers have trouble breaking up a single check to two different IRA accounts.

Hope that helps,

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.