Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: GoldRushs Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 301  
Subject: GRACE Date: 10/24/2002 3:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
The term "Reformed" theology comes from the events and times of the Reformation and the ministries of the early Protestant Christians, but the definition of Reformed ~Theology~ is the study and teaching of GRACE.

God's grace.

God's grace manifested in the Person of Jesus Christ.

"He is the image of the invisible God, the first born over all creation." Colossians 1:15

Jesus Christ, whose name is "The Word of God" (Rev. 19:13) and Who was God (John 1:1), full of grace and truth:

"And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth." John 1:14

Truth is inseparable from grace, and grace is inseparable from truth. For both are found only in God, through faith in His Son.

Thus, the theology of the Reformers was not new, for it was and is founded upon Godly truth; the Word of God (the Person of Jesus Christ), and the written Word inspired by the Spirit of Christ.

"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness." II Timothy 3:16

All the sons of God, saved by grace through faith in God and His promises of a Redeemer, receive the Word of God as their supernatural instruction from the Holy Spirit of God. As sinners are saved by grace today, so sinners have always been saved. God's plan of redemption has always been one of grace; in the O.T. times as well as the N.T.

Only by grace, through faith is any sinner saved; Abraham being the prime example named by God:

"But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness . . For we say that faith was accounted to Abraham for righteousness. . And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had while still uncircumcised, that righteousness might be imputed to them also, and the father of circumcision to those who not only are of the circumcision, but who also walk in the steps of the faith which our father Abraham had while still uncircumcised." Romans 4:5,9b,11&12

"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast." Ephesians 2:8&9

The truths of grace revealed in the Person of Jesus Christ through the Holy Scriptures is the foundation upon which Reformed Theology is built.

"According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it. For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ." I Corinthians 3:10&11

The Reformed and early Protestant teachings centered in Jesus Christ and His grace, and Jesus Christ alone. The source of truth about Jesus Christ is found in His Word alone, for all the Bible speaks of Him:

"Then He said to them, 'These are the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms concerning Me." Luke 24:44

As the first Protestants acted to restore individual worship of God in the church, according to the Holy Spirit's working in each saint, so they devoted themselves to bring back and revive the historical teachings from God (the Holy Scriptures) amongst the assembling of those saints.

Martin Luther reacted to the revelation of the justification of his soul by the grace of God be close study of the Word, and it not only changed his life, but the world.

So we will present a bit of his testimony and look at how Scripture teaches the doctrine of Justification, first off. For to fully appreciate the grace of God, one must understand what it means to be justified.

May God bless us all as we look to His Word regarding these things . . .

J&R

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement