Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jeanpaulsartre Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 9085  
Subject: Re: Pieta prayer book:Q Date: 2/20/2002 11:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

Granted that Christ is the forgiver of sinners. Here is his bitter complaint. But it is not Christ who thinks they are hopeless--it is the anger of St. Brigit who assigns them such. And when you read the passage, you can both understand her anger and his bitterness. It is easier to understand if you read it in the context of the whole goings-on.

22 "But if I release Barabbas," Pilate asked them, "what should I do with Jesus who is called the Messiah?"And they all shouted, "Crucify him!" 23 "Why?" Pilate demanded. "What crime has he committed?"But the crowd only roared the louder, "Crucify him!" 24 Pilate saw that he wasn't getting anywhere and that a riot was developing. So he sent for a bowl of water and washed his hands before the crowd, saying, "I am innocent of the blood of this man. The responsibility is yours!" 25 And all the people yelled back, "We will take responsibility for his death – we and our children!" F156

26 So Pilate released Barabbas to them. He ordered Jesus flogged with a lead-tipped whip, then turned him over to the Roman soldiers to crucify him. 27 Some of the governor's soldiers took Jesus into their headquarters and called out the entire battalion. 28 They stripped him and put a scarlet robe on him. 29 They made a crown of long, sharp thorns and put it on his head, and they placed a stick in his right hand as a scepter. Then they knelt before him in mockery, yelling, "Hail! King of the Jews!" 30 And they spit on him and grabbed the stick and beat him on the head with it. 31 When they were finally tired of mocking him, they took off the robe and put his own clothes on him again. Then they led him away to be crucified. 32 As they were on the way, they came across a man named Simon, who was from Cyrene, F157 and they forced him to carry Jesus' cross.

33 Then they went out to a place called Golgotha (which means Skull Hill). 34 The soldiers gave him wine mixed with bitter gall, but when he had tasted it, he refused to drink it. 35 After they had nailed him to the cross, the soldiers gambled for his clothes by throwing dice. F158 36 Then they sat around and kept guard as he hung there. 37 A signboard was fastened to the cross above Jesus' head, announcing the charge against him. It read: "This is Jesus, the King of the Jews." 38 Two criminals were crucified with him, their crosses on either side of his. 39 And the people passing by shouted abuse, shaking their heads in mockery. 40 "So! You can destroy the Temple and build it again in three days, can you? Well then, if you are the Son of God, save yourself and come down from the cross!" 41 The leading priests, the teachers of religious law, and the other leaders also mocked Jesus. 42 "He saved others," they scoffed, "but he can't save himself! So he is the king of Israel, is he? Let him come down from the cross, and we will believe in him! 43 He trusted God – let God show his approval by delivering him! For he said, 'I am the Son of God.'" 44 And the criminals who were crucified with him also shouted the same insults at him. 45 At noon, darkness fell across the whole land until three o'clock. 46 At about three o'clock, Jesus called out with a loud voice, "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?" which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
"

Which is a quote from Psalm 22. Who would not in these circumstances, amidst such physical and emotional and intellectual pain, and a sentence of death, "complain" at least as much? And who, having observed the torment of Christ, would not call the sinners who put him to death "hopeless"?

jps
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement