UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 734899  
Subject: grass cutting guys and gals Date: 10/28/2013 8:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
what kind of lawn mower would you stand behind?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: tjscott0 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 702957 of 734899
Subject: Re: grass cutting guys and gals Date: 10/28/2013 9:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
what kind of lawn mower would you stand behind?

One pushed by someone else.;>)

How big is your lawn?

two ways to go.

First-cheap basic mower like
http://www.lowes.com/pd_421852-270-11A-B06R765_4294747214__?...

second self propelled like
http://www.lowes.com/pd_372087-270-11A-A23N011_4294747214__?...
or
http://www.lowes.com/pd_421864-63311-961450009_4294747214__?...

The self propelled is heavier but it is pulled by the engine. I always found that the self propelled was harder to start[required more strength on the pull rope].

I always preferred the push mower. But then I'm a 180lb guy that enjoyed the physicality of mowing.

The mower will be powered by either a Briggs & stratton, tecumseh, or honda air cooled engine. I never had a problem with engine til after years & years of use.

So I would look into how easily the height is adjusted then factor in the weight. All the mowers will require that you assemble the handle & then attach the controls to the handle. And then fill the crankcase with the provided oil. If you have any mechanical ability you can do it. If not I imagine the store will do it for you for a price.

Keep the air filter clean throughout the mowing season. At the end of the season have the blade sharpened & change the oil & check the spark plug to see if it needs replacing.

Author: 1HappyFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 702960 of 734899
Subject: Re: grass cutting guys and gals Date: 10/28/2013 11:14 PM
How big is your lawn? If it's a relatively small city lot, a Toro with at least a 3.5 HP engine. Anything larger than 5 HP might be hard to start. Nothing wider than 22" cut. You'll walk more with a smaller cut, but the mower will be lighter.

This would be a candidate.

http://www.toro.com/en-us/homeowner/mowers/walk-power-mowers...

If your lawn is really small, consider an electric mower.

1HF

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 702974 of 734899
Subject: Re: grass cutting guys and gals Date: 10/29/2013 9:19 AM
I'm a little disappointed in my Lawnboy mower, when the bag is empty and you hit a bump in the lawn the clippings have a way of flying out the sides of the bag where it meets the chute, not cool. Besides that i'm happy with it. There's a new mower out by Toro that is 30" wide, most mowers are 22", i know you have a big yard, problem is it's $999 and my Lawnboy was $250. I've heard good things about Honda mowers, but they're expensive, like $500-600 expensive. I dunno.

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 702981 of 734899
Subject: Re: grass cutting guys and gals Date: 10/29/2013 9:46 AM
my lot is 2 city lots, slightly less than an acre. Do have lots of border with shrubbery and mulched areas. Takes me an hr. an a quarter to a 1/2 to cut with walk behind mower...and that doesn't include trimming or blowing debris which I rarely do anyway...my trimming is Round Up...and blowing well that dang thing is hard to start and I have back problems so the wind does well. I did try to start the blower on Sunday because the leaves are dropping......I can't win.

LD

Author: 1HappyFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 702989 of 734899
Subject: Re: grass cutting guys and gals Date: 10/29/2013 10:35 AM
my lot is 2 city lots, slightly less than an acre. Do have lots of border with shrubbery and mulched areas. Takes me an hr. an a quarter to a 1/2 to cut with walk behind mower...and that doesn't include trimming or blowing debris which I rarely do anyway...my trimming is Round Up...and blowing well that dang thing is hard to start and I have back problems so the wind does well. I did try to start the blower on Sunday because the leaves are dropping......I can't win.

LD

With a lot that size, I would get a rider with a 36" - 42" cut. Cub Cadet might be a good choice. Maybe you could also get a leaf vac attachment. Of course, the real advantage of a rider is that you could put on a helmet and goggles and pretend you're a NASCAR driver.

1HF

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 702998 of 734899
Subject: Re: grass cutting guys and gals Date: 10/29/2013 11:36 AM
I've always used a Snapper push mower. And make it a mulching mower. Come fall/winter, just mulch the leaves up too and no need to worry about raking if you do it often enough.

JLC

Author: tjscott0 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 703001 of 734899
Subject: Re: grass cutting guys and gals Date: 10/29/2013 11:51 AM
Of course, the real advantage of a rider is that you could put on a helmet and goggles and pretend you're a NASCAR driver.

1HF

And don't fergit the airfoil & racing stripes!

Hey guys remember the Plymouth Superbird? Varroom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Plymouth_Superbird.jpg
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://static.cargurus.c...

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 703023 of 734899
Subject: Re: grass cutting guys and gals Date: 10/29/2013 2:34 PM
"what kind of lawn mower would you stand behind?" - luckydog

One with a Briggs and Stratton engine. Our neighbor fixes and repairs small engines as a hobby and I bought a used lawn mower from him recently for $40. It's got a 4 horse power Briggs and Stratton engine and is a 22" cut.

I've also got a Honda Lawnmower with a 5.5 horsepower engine on it.

Art

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 703024 of 734899
Subject: Re: grass cutting guys and gals Date: 10/29/2013 2:40 PM
"I did try to start the blower on Sunday because the leaves are dropping......I can't win." - LD

Just chop them up and mulch them into your lawn. They will disappear fast. It is fertilizer for your lawn. Seriously. It works.

I haven't raked leaves in years and our house is surrounded by giant hardwood trees. Just mow them and let them decompose into your grass.

Art

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 703040 of 734899
Subject: Re: grass cutting guys and gals Date: 10/29/2013 4:11 PM
Recommendations: 2
Just chop them up and mulch them into your lawn. They will disappear fast. It is fertilizer for your lawn. Seriously. It works.

To me one of the stupidest common things in this country is the notion that you need to remove the grass clippings (which, if your grass is healthy, consist of PRECISELY the nutrients in healthy grass) from your lawn, and then turn around and apply fertilizer.

Alongside it is the notion that you have to cut grass really short. Grass consists of stem and leaves. Most common varieties of grass have stems over an inch long. Cutting grass to an inch, or an inch and a half, and then hoping to have healthy grass, is like stripping all the leaves off trees and hoping the trees will thrive. Hint: they don't make that much fertilizer.

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 703041 of 734899
Subject: Re: grass cutting guys and gals Date: 10/29/2013 4:17 PM
way back in 1987 I bought a Sears Craftsman garden tractor...forgot the size of the deck but it was really wide and the thing was built to last and it did until a few yrs. ago. When I didn't feel like getting the cardio from a walk behind, or if the grass was wet and tall, man, that made quick work of cutting the grass. Also, I rake out the leaves from the borders and used to run over them back and forth with that tractor and it was great! It's not the same using the lawn mower though, although I did it, takes a lot of time.

Since the motor on the garden tractor went out a few yrs back, I haven't bought another one, thinking, heck I may not be here that long to shell out a couple of thousand on a new one but I'm still here and have no plans to move next yr so maybe I should consider buying another garden tractor. It's either that or have some guy or company do all the maintenance and that makes me ill to think about...cost wise.

I'm calling a company in a minute to see about them coming over here to fix my lawn mowers. I have 2.....a 1987 plain Jane Craftsman that an old girlfriend gave me as a present, a Troy Bilt that needs the gas bulb replaced and see if it runs and then this high dollar Honda with carb problems...they can come to the house...I wanna see how much that trip charge is.....sure would save me time, trouble and back pain if I didn't have to haul them somewhere.

I remember the good old days when Sears man would come and do maintenance on tractor and mower.

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 703043 of 734899
Subject: Re: grass cutting guys and gals Date: 10/29/2013 4:32 PM
I don't use a bagger because honestly, the lifting and putting the thing back on was a pain in my back....I live on a hill...so think strain.

The chopped up leaves serves as a mulch of sorts but really, the purpose is to avoid raking onto to a tarp and dragging them way back in the woods, over and over again. Y'all must think I'm 19, I feel like I'm 80 yrs old today...that's what back pain does to you.

Oh, I just called and got info....$75 round trip charge for picking up 3 lawn mowers and they will tell me whether it's worth fixing them. The man or woman is coming Thursday to pick the mowers up. I've been dragging my feet on this for a long time not knowing what to do.....time to getter done!

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 703093 of 734899
Subject: Re: grass cutting guys and gals Date: 10/29/2013 10:32 PM
"The chopped up leaves serves as a mulch of sorts but really, the purpose is to avoid raking onto to a tarp and dragging them way back in the woods, over and over again. Y'all must think I'm 19, I feel like I'm 80 yrs old today...that's what back pain does to you." - Luckydog

Who said anything about raking? Chop them up and leave them where they lie. Let the worms, bacteria, protozoa, and fungus digest them and turn them into hummus for the lawn?

Let nature do the work.

Art

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 703173 of 734899
Subject: Re: grass cutting guys and gals Date: 10/30/2013 3:27 PM
"The chopped up leaves serves as a mulch of sorts but really, the purpose is to avoid raking onto to a tarp and dragging them way back in the woods, over and over again. Y'all must think I'm 19, I feel like I'm 80 yrs old today...that's what back pain does to you." - Luckydog

Who said anything about raking? Chop them up and leave them where they lie. Let the worms, bacteria, protozoa, and fungus digest them and turn them into hummus for the lawn?

Let nature do the work.

Art

>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a lot of perimeter planting and borders...and neighbors leaves dropping all over them.....I have to rake underneath some to get them out and then other borders, I blow out and put on yard because if I ran the lawn mower over the borders, I'd be chewing up the mulch that's there.

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 703225 of 734899
Subject: Re: grass cutting guys and gals Date: 10/30/2013 9:54 PM
"what kind of lawn mower would you stand behind? "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I use a s"self propelled" front-wheel drive that requires me to
push the dratted thing up and down inclines and along flat sections.
Every 3 years or so I manage to hit a post or a pole or a wopping
great rock and bend the shaft - so I rarely worry about difficulty
in starting.
I had one of the older Murrays - about forty years ago - that
lasted for about 15 years - back before plastic parts became the
normal material. Now the plastic bits wear out in about two years
and getting 4 years from one of the beasts is rare.

I have owned a Husqvarna, Toro, Sears, Murray, and a few others

Howie52
My BIL has a Cub Cadet and a John Deere - riding mowers. They
work and have worked for 10 years with rough use. You have to
keep weight on the Deere anymore to avoid shutting the thing off
due to a switch on the seat that unloads if you go over a hill.
Quirky

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 703226 of 734899
Subject: Re: grass cutting guys and gals Date: 10/30/2013 10:12 PM
I got a 23 year old Sears power mower.....I just cut the back grass of maybe 10 x 80 feet.....winds around the back/side of house and I only cut it every couple weeks...

Still running but is only 1 wheel drive....the other wheel gave up a few years ago.....

one of these years I'll change the oil again..... It goes through 2 gal of gas a summer...which reminds me, time to cut the grass one more time then run the mower out of gas so it will start with new gas next year.

I pay someone to cut the rest of the yard....20x 60 on the side and 50x70 in the front.... I'm gone enough so it needs to get cut....

t.

Author: bighairymike Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 703228 of 734899
Subject: Re: grass cutting guys and gals Date: 10/30/2013 10:39 PM
You have to keep weight on the Deere anymore to avoid shutting the thing off due to a switch on the seat that unloads if you go over a hill. - howie

-------------

I have a regular John deere tractor that had that same annoying seat feature as your riding mower. It is intended to make sure the operator was in the seat before starting. Often I wanted to start it just to raise or tilt the front loader and it was a PITA to have climb up and set down just for that. The other annoyance was you had be in the seat if the PTO was engaged. If you got up before disengaging the PTO, the engine would die. Another PITA, especially when using the post hole digger where you have to be out of the seat to position and operate the digger.

Anyway, the seat apparatus can easily be disenaged. Simply look for the wires running under the seat. On the end will be a plug that plugs into some sort of sensor built into the seat. Pull the plug and insert a jumper across the two terminals and voila, the tractor thinks you are setting down when you aren't. I used a short piece of 12 guage copper wire and stripped about a half inch of insulation off of each end. Bend into a U shape and shove the ends into the connector. A little electrical tape to keep in place and keep out mositure and your done. 5 minutes tops.

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 703246 of 734899
Subject: Re: grass cutting guys and gals Date: 10/31/2013 9:22 AM
You have to keep weight on the Deere anymore to avoid shutting the thing off due to a switch on the seat that unloads if you go over a hill. - howie

-------------

I have a regular John deere tractor that had that same annoying seat feature as your riding mower. It is intended to make sure the operator was in the seat before starting. Often I wanted to start it just to raise or tilt the front loader and it was a PITA to have climb up and set down just for that. The other annoyance was you had be in the seat if the PTO was engaged. If you got up before disengaging the PTO, the engine would die. Another PITA, especially when using the post hole digger where you have to be out of the seat to position and operate the digger.

Anyway, the seat apparatus can easily be disenaged. Simply look for the wires running under the seat. On the end will be a plug that plugs into some sort of sensor built into the seat. Pull the plug and insert a jumper across the two terminals and voila, the tractor thinks you are setting down when you aren't. I used a short piece of 12 guage copper wire and stripped about a half inch of insulation off of each end. Bend into a U shape and shove the ends into the connector. A little electrical tape to keep in place and keep out mositure and your done. 5 minutes tops.
bhm

>>>>>>>
I know why they have all these safety feature but my gawd, before too long we'll be required to take tests and get licenses to operate the dang things.

I just hauled out the 3 lawn mowers for the guy whenever he comes to pick them up today and I was reminded of my "go-round" on the safety bar on the ancient Craftsman mower, I just used a little pipe clamp to attach to handle, so the thing wouldn't cut off if I had to step away from mower. There was a guy at work that cut up his foot when he ran over with a lawn mower....uhhh...he wasn't all that sharp working either....he's a custodian at a church now.

Author: bighairymike Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 703262 of 734899
Subject: Re: grass cutting guys and gals Date: 10/31/2013 9:55 AM
Bend into a U shape and shove the ends into the connector. A little electrical tape to keep in place and keep out mositure and your done.

----------

Make that "you're". Sorry CC

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 703305 of 734899
Subject: Re: grass cutting guys and gals Date: 10/31/2013 11:45 AM
That's OK, BHM. At least you caught yourself. ;-)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement