Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 22707  
Subject: Great Abba Eban quote! Date: 12/9/2012 12:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
"If the Arab League made a motion at the U.N. General Assembly that the world was flat, they would get 40 votes for it." — Abba Eban (said in 1967, when there were a lot fewer countries.)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: dovbaer6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22187 of 22707
Subject: Re: Great Abba Eban quote! Date: 12/9/2012 1:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
"If the Arab League made a motion at the U.N. General Assembly that the world was flat, they would get 40 votes for it." — Abba Eban (said in 1967, when there were a lot fewer countries.)

that was back in the days when Israel had literate people instead of brutes in the foreign ministry.

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22189 of 22707
Subject: Re: Great Abba Eban quote! Date: 12/9/2012 2:20 PM
Recommendations: 1
that was back in the days…

And yet, the statement still holds true. Except now they'd probably get 100 votes for it.

Author: dovbaer6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22190 of 22707
Subject: Re: Great Abba Eban quote! Date: 12/9/2012 2:42 PM
Recommendations: 3
that was back in the days…

And yet, the statement still holds true. Except now they'd probably get 100 votes for it.

no doubt ...

After watching the spectacle called Lieberman for the last year, I've been thinking a lot about Abba Eban recently.

when I was 15 years old, in June of 1967, I remember watching TV with my father as Abba Eban spoke at the UN during the outbreak of the 6 day war.

What eloquence! Not only mastery of the language (and apparently 10 other languages) but so persuasive and clear as he explained the war from Israels perspective.

Today, we have Lieberman, a man who is a barely articulate brute, a disgrace really, to the memory of men like Eban.

Whoa unto Israel ... Dov

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22191 of 22707
Subject: Re: Great Abba Eban quote! Date: 12/9/2012 6:52 PM
Recommendations: 2
What eloquence! Not only mastery of the language …

Given that he was born in South Africa, and grew up in the UK, it's a reasonable assumption that English was his first language.

Avigdor Lieberman was born and raised in the former USSR, and didn't have nearly the educational opportunities that Eban had. (Lieberman applied to Kiev University, but was rejected because he was Jewish.)

Lieberman eventually earned his degree in international relations and political science.

You might not like his politics, but that doesn't make him an uneducated brute.

Author: dovbaer6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22192 of 22707
Subject: Re: Great Abba Eban quote! Date: 12/9/2012 11:03 PM
Recommendations: 3
You might not like his politics, but that doesn't make him an uneducated brute.

and educated brute then .... ;0

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement