UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59690  
Subject: Great conversation about SOPA Date: 1/19/2012 12:44 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I heard this program today on NPR. It really did the best job of explaining where the problems are with SOPA and why it is boiling over. The main problem from what I can tell is that the bill was written by lobbyists and the technology companies say they didn't know what they were doing. Count me surprised. Not.

If you want to hear it, there is a 'Listen to this Show" button on the top--not a short program, but worth it if you are interested in this issue. If you are not interested, I am amazed since it could affect your ability to move freely around the internet.

SOPA, Internet Piracy And Power
Clash of titans over Internet piracy and power. Wikipedia goes dark in protest. We’ll look at the big debate.
http://onpoint.wbur.org/2012/01/18/sopa

Critics of the legislation say it takes a full cannonade to a narrow piracy problem. That it threatens to sink Internet freedom and innovation under censorship and firewalls. It’s a battle royal.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39612 of 59690
Subject: Re: Great conversation about SOPA Date: 1/19/2012 1:03 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
"If you are not interested, I am amazed since it could affect your ability to move freely around the internet." - lindytoes
-----------------------------------------------------------

When I was teaching school the kids pretty much ignored me. I feel like there is something about who I am or the way I talk or look or something that makes people completely dismiss me as inconsequential and unimportant. They are going to do what they are going to do. They don't care what I think. No one listens to me anyway.

I am a big fat old poor man that lives a hermit like existence with essentially no power so I don't see why I should get myself all worked up over something that I have no power to change? If I had the power to change something they would have long ago gotten rid of the trade embargo on Cuba.

At this point in the game of life I feel like whatever comes along in life I'll just deal with it and go on with my life. Getting all worked up about it isn't going to change anything and only makes me unhappy. Life has enough unhappiness on it's own without me having to go looking for more of it.

Serenity Prayer
"God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and wisdom to know the difference."

Artie

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39614 of 59690
Subject: Re: Great conversation about SOPA Date: 1/19/2012 2:03 AM
Recommendations: 6
art writes,

I am a big fat old poor man that lives a hermit like existence with essentially no power so I don't see why I should get myself all worked up over something that I have no power to change? If I had the power to change something they would have long ago gotten rid of the trade embargo on Cuba.

It was pretty amazing how fast things changed today after Wikipedia shut down their web site in protest and asked users to phone their congressman and senator. About a dozen have withdrawn their support from the bill so far. That's basically unheard of for a bill with big money lobbyists from Cable TV, Television networks, and the movie industry already having pre-bought our elected representatives.

I heard a story last week about the 1964 Presidential election (Goldwater vs. Lyndon Johnson). A TV reporter was interviewing some woman in the hills of West Virginia and asked who she supported for President. She said she couldn't support Goldwater because he was going to take away her TV. The reporter explained that wasn't true, Goldwater wanted to abolish the TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority and put power generation in private corporate hands.)

The woman said just the same she wasn't willing to take the chance that Goldwater would take her TV, too.

intercst

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39636 of 59690
Subject: Re: Great conversation about SOPA Date: 1/19/2012 6:25 PM
Recommendations: 0
I'm not convinced that these bills are that big a deal. There really are good reasons to try to curb online piracy and to demand a little more accountability. SOPA probably isn't the best way to try to do that, but Facebook, Twitter, Google, Wiki and others are definitely engaging in scare tactics and stirring up as much fear and anger as they can. They don't want to spend one dime policing piracy.

Internet users are overwhelmingly against the bills, but from my own reading on the subject I would have to conclude that most are also pretty ignorant of the details of the laws.

Although the money backing the bill is big, there's no insignificant number of contributions coming in to oppose SOPA and PIPA:

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h3261/money

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-s968/money

Too bad this topic came up the way it did. Now it is just one more important issue that Americans will be unable to discuss intelligently.

Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39676 of 59690
Subject: Re: Great conversation about SOPA Date: 1/20/2012 2:20 AM
lindy says

SOPA, Internet Piracy And Power
Clash of titans over Internet piracy and power. Wikipedia goes dark in protest. We’ll look at the big debate.
http://onpoint.wbur.org/2012/01/18/sopa

Here's a great lecturer giving a great, 11-minute lecture about SOPA/PIPA.

http://www.khanacademy.org/

My co-worker was complaining all day about the various internet blackouts in protest against SOPA/PIPA. Then he saw the khanacademy video and said, "OK, now I get it!"

Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39683 of 59690
Subject: Re: Great conversation about SOPA Date: 1/20/2012 10:16 AM
Well, that video on Khan Academy was much better than my post. Thanks for sharing it. I have already shared it on Facebook. The more people know about what is going on, the better.

I did like the technology CEOs on my discussion link who said that they thought internet piracy laws are needed; they just need to have the technology guys help write the law -- not lobbyists.

Have you posted this to PA? I think it is worth sharing on all of the fool boards. If I understand it correctly, this whole site could be shut down if they pass a bill anything like this. I think SOPA/PIPA is dead, but who is to say they won't sneak a new bill in sometime later that is very similar? America saw the end of important protections in banking (set up during the 1930s) in 1999 while the country was caught up in impeachment. Look where we are today because of that. People can be oblivious. In fact, now that I think about it, if something like SOPA happens we will be even more oblivious because the internet is how people have become aware. The internet really is powerful--that is why places like China and N Korea control it.

Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39694 of 59690
Subject: Re: Great conversation about SOPA Date: 1/20/2012 1:56 PM
lindytoes says

Well, that video on Khan Academy was much better than my post. Thanks for sharing it. I have already shared it on Facebook. The more people know about what is going on, the better.

I did like the technology CEOs on my discussion link who said that they thought internet piracy laws are needed; they just need to have the technology guys help write the law -- not lobbyists.

Have you posted this to PA? I think it is worth sharing on all of the fool boards. If I understand it correctly, this whole site could be shut down if they pass a bill anything like this. I think SOPA/PIPA is dead, but who is to say they won't sneak a new bill in sometime later that is very similar?

Yup. SOPA and PIPA are all but dead according to today's news, but they won't give up.

I'll take your suggestion and post the Khan video to PA.

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39701 of 59690
Subject: Re: Great conversation about SOPA Date: 1/20/2012 5:29 PM
Here's a great lecturer giving a great, 11-minute lecture about SOPA/PIPA.

What a ridiculous bunch of fear mongering hysteria!! People really ought to take a deep breath and stop listening to the wealthy owners of their favorite web sites that are doing nothing to preserve copyright laws. The more I hear presentations like this one, the more I feel it is important that some kind of legislation be drafted soon to enforce our existing copyright laws.

The above presentation repeatedly states that the US copyright holders can shut down sites. That's nonsense. It is only the US Justice Department that could take this kind of action. It simply provides the Justice Department with a tool to try to do better enforcement of copyright laws. The presenter also makes a big deal about how awful this could be if someone started defining "enabling" is some egregious way. This reminds me of the kind of scare tactic that were used against the Equal Rights Amendment back in the 80's. The actual amendment consisted of two sentences. One said that Congress could not pass any laws that discriminated against women. The other sentence stated the date it would become effective. But the opponents had people believing all kinds of nonsense about what the amendment said and would do. If you want to start changing the definitions of words and extrapolating how some evil person might try to interpret and enforce it, then no law is safe from this kind of fear mongering.

There are lots of web sites out there that do nothing to protect copyright laws. Worse, they actually create loopholes and back doors to allow the abuse. They almost encourage their users to thumb their noses at our US copyright laws. These are the same web site owners who are spreading this hysteria. SOPA and PIPA might benefit from some modifications, but that's not really the issue here. Sites like Wiki and Facebook and YouTube, etc. want to allow their users to violate copyright laws and they want the right to accept no accountability for their part in the theft.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement