Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: DrBooa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 82246  
Subject: Great Hockey Story Date: 3/13/2012 3:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I thought of y'all when I read this story:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=buccig...

There's a related story in Grantland:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7662699/advanced-stats-h...

You have to search for Burke to get to the relevant part, but it's pretty touching.

--Booa
Print the post Back To Top
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 82153 of 82246
Subject: Re: Great Hockey Story Date: 3/15/2012 12:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
These articles made me cry. Anybody who isn't moved must simply have a blank space in their heart--presumably due to bad influences.

I'm in my 60s now, and the first time I think I heard about the concept of homosexuality, I surmised it meant effeminate for a guy and masculine for a female. Since I knew people like that and found them perfectly groovy, just a new word to describe something I'd observed. I don't think I understood the sex aspect until late high school, when I read about it in a novel. I wasn't shocked or surprised, didn't seem like a problem of any kind--I learned new things about people often when I read novels, after all. I had never noticed a word against homosexuality in my life to that point (I probably heard them but didn't get it) so I wasn't predisposed to judge, let alone judge negatively. Just another aspect of human nature.

The struggle for gender, racial, and LBGT equality, which I've been observing since the 50s, is slow. We've come a long way, but still have a long way to go. For every two steps forward, there seems to be another step back. But we'll get there, of that I have no doubt. 30 years ago, I didn't think I'd live to see a black president. Now I'm looking forward to our first gay (and/or female and/or non-CHristian) president(s)! I hope it won't take another 30 years. Heck, if pro-hockey can get there, surely the rest of us can.

Author: DrBooa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 82154 of 82246
Subject: Re: Great Hockey Story Date: 3/15/2012 8:30 PM
Recommendations: 1
These articles made me cry. Anybody who isn't moved must simply have a blank space in their heart--presumably due to bad influences.

They made me cry, too. I think they're talking about important stuff, and I think more often than not, sports is an avenue for change and acceptance.

The line that always gets me is, "Since he's chosen to blaze this trail, I stand beside him with an axe!" I wish every person that came out got this level of support.

The struggle for gender, racial, and LBGT equality, which I've been observing since the 50s, is slow. We've come a long way, but still have a long way to go. For every two steps forward, there seems to be another step back. But we'll get there, of that I have no doubt. 30 years ago, I didn't think I'd live to see a black president. Now I'm looking forward to our first gay (and/or female and/or non-CHristian) president(s)! I hope it won't take another 30 years. Heck, if pro-hockey can get there, surely the rest of us can.

I think if pro hockey gets there, the rest of us will--or at least enough of us that it makes no never-mind.

--Booa

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement