Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: redbaron7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 186  
Subject: Great Sumatra Earthquake Date: 12/30/2004 10:27 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Lastnight I produced a couple of maps of the mainshock and its aftershocks:

http://www.mp2kmag.com/mappoint/discussion/viewtopic.asp?t=6427

The USGS are currently quoting 1200km length of fault slipping, with an estimated width of about 100km, and mean displacement of 15m.
The technical term for that is "Humungous".

The focal mechanism of the main shock is here:

http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/FM/neic_slav_q.html

Classic low-angle thrust mechanism dipping slightly to the north east.

RB
Print the post Back To Top
Author: XWordPhile Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 181 of 186
Subject: Re: Great Sumatra Earthquake Date: 12/30/2004 12:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I was "lucky" enough to experience the Northridge quake in '95, which was a mere 6.8 and 29 seconds (IIRC). I can't even imagine what a 9 must feel like, for as long as that went on. And of course natural disasters are even more disastrous nowadays, with our huge population.

Now, what is this MapPoint? Is it for GPS or GIS (or both)? I'm currently working on a GIS certificate, and haven't heard of it (our school uses ESRI).

Ellen

Author: redbaron7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182 of 186
Subject: Re: Great Sumatra Earthquake Date: 12/30/2004 1:10 PM
It is a sort of baby/lightweight GIS. Yes it can be used with GPS, can be used for route finding, and for plotting data. Data plotting is more orientated towards business applications rather than the natural sciences.

MS MapPoint is to GIS a bit like MS Excel is to a decent statistics system. You can do a lot with it at an affordable price (just over $200 from places like Amazon I think), but there are some definite limits.

If you're used to the ESRI products then you'll find MapPoint restrictive. It does however include quite a bit of demographic data, and has a reasonable programming interface - I've used it from C++ and VB6.

There are two geographic editions: Europe and North America.

RB

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement