Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFLomax Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1983  
Subject: Re: Google related article Date: 1/17/2013 2:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Great thought, W.D. I remember the Microsoft Explorer vs Netscape wars as really annoying -- like you'd try to put Netscape on your machine so you didn't have to use monopolistic ol' Explorer and the two programs would kind of literally go to war and sort of mess up the functionality of your machine (and as my hazy memory recalls, the fix basically was to uninstall Netscape). Those were the good old days. ;)

It's a good point that GOOG vs. MSFT is ironic in that GOOG gets away with a lot more than MSFT did in the old days. However GOOG just seems sooooo "not evil." ;)

Look at how AAPL does/has done some stuff that's pretty non-competitive too. It's not an open company. And in some ways hasn't been a very nice company. Yet it's "cool," well designed, and had a great brand and a difficult but charismatic leader.

I think Microsoft under Bill Gates might have had many fatal flaws -- not just that their products often weren't the very best they could have been but also because Gates never really "got" how to seem like his products/business was either "good" or "rebellious." Microsoft somehow never escaped certain reputations (and now I think is kind of blaaaah, though obviously still highly used).

I dunno, you just got me thinking about talking a good line or not in business, you know? Not that Microsoft was puppies and kittens in any way. I never thought highly of that company, quite honestly. It was only when I was reading the Steve Jobs biography that I realized that all that "think different" stuff meant I just *might* have been kind of a sucker for the brand's line from the very beginning though. ;)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement