Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Great thread. Both of my parents retired relatively early, e.g. Dad at 55, and had problems figuring out what to do with themselves. This exacerbated relationship problems.

My big hobby is to play European board games. Does this sound weird? In much of Europe, this is a big social trend with Sunday set aside to play board games with children and/or have friends over for wine and a game or two. It fits well with FIRE as the effective cost is darn small. Some of the more interesting U.S. gamers I have met started their own business, had little work and little money in the early days, and became hard core board gamers because it offered the best entertainment value. Living in a major city, Atlanta, there are relatively big groups that meet three times a week in public settings and lots of private groups. There are some interesting folks who are gamers, including TMF's own DavidG and an editor at one of the largest magazines in the world. The quality of games being produced now is also a big plus, there are games with lots of interesting elements and high quality components where it is easy to finish a game in 30-90 minutes for 2-6+ players at a time. There is a pretty good board here at TMF on board games should this quasi-rant appeal to you.

My wife is a scrap book queen, another interesting group that has lots of internet groupies and conventions and reasonably inexpensive get togethers. Not quite as cheap as gaming, IMHO, but you are creating some nice family momentos.

Cheers,

JohnH
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement