Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: breaktrack Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 66  
Subject: Great Wolf Lodge Date: 10/7/2007 10:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Okay Fools, here is the scoop on WOLF. I went there with my family on Oct 2nd, 2007. We stayed at the Tannersville, PA facility which was opened about 2 years ago. I went there with great interest since I read about this stock through one of the Fool's articles and thought what a great chance to look at this concept first hand. I couldn't help compare it to Disney since I have been there about 4 times. My observations are as follows.
I have 3 children all under 8. They went there once before and loved it and couldn't wait for me to go with them. There are some really cool water rides in the indoor park which I have to admit are tons of fun.The water was very clean. They have a great wave pool that is very similar to the real thing. The general appearance was very neat and clean although I remarked to my wife that you don't see the same attention to detail picking up the small stuff like gum wrappers etc that you do when you are at Disney. They had a butt conatiner right near the door that I caught a wiff of. The restaurant inside of the lodge was near emtpy(we did go in the middle of the week) though the waitress said it is crazy on the weekends.The food was VERY expensive (13.99 for a cheesesteak). This lodge is only about an hour outside of NYC so there where many New Yorkers there who seemed to be having a great time. There where plenty of lifeguards on duty who really seemed to take their jobs very seriously which I would hope for!
The very nice waitress we had said that she left another Pocono resort job of many years to work there. She was very proud of the fact that management implemented one of here ideas from her work experience. WOLF has a pretty neat arcade that the kids loved. The rooms were clean and big. My wife has a friend who just went there this past weekend and said she was given all kinds of upgrades because of a WOLF reservation error. She raves about it and goes quite often.
We went there on a radio station special that WOLF sponsored locally. Just $99 a night for the hotel and water park. A normal night is $250. You have to stay at the lodge. You just can't buy tickets for the waterpark. I didn't mind paying the $99 since it included everything but I think that I would have felt that $250 was too much. With the restuarant prices a wee bit high I remarked to my wife that we should just hop in the van and cruise to another place close by to eat. She remarked that most people probably won't leave since they are in the bathing suits and wouldn't want to leave.
My kids love the place and want to go back ASAP. I can see the Tannersville ,PA facility doing well since it is so close to NYC. City people think not a big deal of dropping $250 night for some fun. This could be an affordable get away for most people. The drive is short and many will do it several times a year. I can't help but think that DISNEY may be looking at WOLF with great interest especially in the winter months. I am going to follow this stock and maybe invest my first third in it. A buddy of mine says to just go and buy DISNEY stock.
I hope this info helps. I had an overall positive experience. If they can find the right locations these parks should do well.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement