No. of Recommendations: 0
Greeting, Bryan, and welcome.

<<Hello everyone. I am going to roll my current mutual fund ira into a self directed Roth but I have a few ??? about how trades are executed inside an ira. Seeing how you cant have a margin account inside an ira- Do you have to use limit orders to be sure you have the available funds? Or does the trade just not occur if you use a market order and the funds are not enough to cover the execution? Do all brokerage IRA's folow the same rules or is everyone different? I have a regular account with Suretrade now and was dissapointed with their customer service at first but it has improved greatly as of late. Are their any better choices as far as IRA's go??? >>

I don't know how others do it, but I rarely use limit orders in my IRA. Instead, I ensure the money is there by keeping $500 to $1K in cash all the time. That way I don't have to worry about price variations too much during my trades. As to your query regarding "better choices as far as IRAs go," to me that's like walking into a supermarket and asking, "Are there better choices as far as food goes?" The IRA is simply a means of investing on a tax deferred basis. It is not the investment itself, but the container. Think of it as the bag that holds your groceries. You select the food, and the bag holds it for you. In an IRA, you select the investment, and the IRA is the vehicle that holds that investment.

Regards.....Pixy
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement