No. of Recommendations: 9
Greeting, jkburnett, and welcome. You asked:

My wife quit her paying job to take care of the kids at home a couple of years ago. I contribute to my company's 401k. Our AGI is $85,000.

Can we contribute $3000 to my wife's IRA (a roll-over IRA from her previous job)? Is it deductible? OR contribute to a ROTH IRA in her name?

In addition, can we contribute $3000 to my Roth IRA?

If you file a joint return and as long as your joint modified AGI is less than $150K, only one of you has to be working to permit a fully deductible contribution to the unemployed spouse's traditional IRA. Based on your stated income and provided she is under age 70.5, then that means you may contribute up to $3K to your spouse's rollover IRA and fully deduct that contribution. You may also contribute up to $3K to your own Roth IRA. For details, see pages 14 and 55 of IRS Publication 590 (Individual Retirement Arrangements) available for download at,,id=97819,00.html.

Hope that helps.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.