No. of Recommendations: 0
During my Tour of the Speaker's Corner I am continually finding new Boards to return to, read the posts and join the discussions. This is another.

Now if I could just finish this darn tour.

js
Print the post Back To Top
Just cruising around and found this board. Wondering if anybody is still around. There haven't been any posts since May 2000.

Crocket
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi Crocket,

Yes, there are still people around.

I have this placed in one of my portfolio

not to many people know about this board

or they just don't want to know.

Other than that, we are still around.

I guess they just don't care about there

love ones? I don't know..

Have a nice day and fool on

Cheers
I'm here, as well. Yes, I suppose people just don't know about the board, and haven't gone looking for such a board.

I hope one day we'll build a little momentum. although it's really the kind of board you just need briefly, once in a while, perhaps...

Cheers!

Selena
I know this is not something that you talk about everyday. When they do, it's usually too late.
I'm just trying to keep informed. My wife and I have discussed this somewhat. We kinda have a feeling on what we want done and all that. We just haven't done any actual planning.

Crocket
Hi Crocket,

Your right, this is not something that everybody talk

about everyday. However, when disaster hits, before we

know it we're spending thousands of dollars for

unnessary items.

This is for anybody who don't know what to do, this

is my suggestions:

1) Does your spouse or your love ones know were all

of your assests located? Such as account numbers

to your stocks, mutual funds etc....

2) Medical Power of Attorney or Statutory Will

(Check with your state to see if these two forms

are free) If not satisfied, consult with your

attorney.

3) Living Trust, this is very good because, it avoids

probates. Set this up the way you want it done and

it'll continue, even beyond death

(This one you'll have to see an attorney)

Wills, doesn't avoid probate.

4) If you buy a plot make sure the documents, records

and your plot can be transfer into surrounding area

and/or if you move to another state. (Make sure they

put it in writing.)

5) If you have kids, decide who is going to have

custody and/or guardian.

6) Check out discount caskets.

I hope this helps, any advice are welcome!

Fool-on

TPaine

TPaine,

We've pretty much got everything covered in that regard. We haven't bought plots yet. My FIL is after us to do that. My wife told him that when he died and we sold his house, we would buy our plots then. We know where we want to be buried, so that isn't a problem. Of course, that could change in the years to come!! We don't live in the same city where we would be buried.
Haven't checked out discount caskets yet. At this time, the cheapest one is fine with me. I might not want to even be buried. I keep thinking about cremation and scattering my ashes somewhere....anywhere. Or being "shot into space". It doesn't matter to me.

Crocket
No. of Recommendations: 4
TPaine's list was great - I just want to add two more things to it:

Make certain you keep an updated address book of friends and family. It will make things easier for your surviving family, and it will make certain that noone you loved will miss the opportunity to "say goodbye" or to grieve with others at the funeral. (Yeah, this is an active process, not just "funeral planning" - but it would have made arrangements much easier and caused us less stress and strife - plus I am worried that I have missed a friend who was close, but of whom I was unaware of).

Make certain that your family knows your wishes for the funeral/services/burial (or cremation) - put it in writing so that when grieving-family-members object to actions made by those-who-are-in-charge-of-final-arrangements, there isn't a hassle or an argument (family making arrangements don't need vehement objections from those who "know better").

Jennifer
No. of Recommendations: 1
Make certain you keep an updated address book of friends and family. It will make things easier for your surviving family, and it will make certain that noone you loved will miss the opportunity to "say goodbye"

This is good, as are TPaine's suggestions. In fact, this is an excellent board, indeed, and I wish I'd known it was here sooner.

My husband died this summer. As we had discussed the whats and wheres ahead of time, the burial wasn't a problem. His cremains are in a cemetary in WY where you can bury your loved ones in any fashion you/they chose. My husband's cremains are mixing with Wyoming's earth.

I was contemplating starting a board here for widows - and widowers if they wished - as there are so many new feelings one goes through when one has lost a spouse. There are also so many strange ways friends, acquaintances and even family members react to and attempt to interact with grieving spouses. I suspect there is much to be written on this subject by those who *really* know. So, maybe someone who visits this board in the future will start a "Bereaved Spouses" board. Maybe there already is one? If so I haven't found it.

As a recent widow, I find that I can't "afford", (time, emotion, money) the Fool at this time, but for those who stay to enjoy this fine place...

Fool on!

Ann
Advertisement