No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Altrussell, and welcome.

<<To qualify for the 1998 Roth IRA roll over, you can not file married filing separately but must file married filling jointly. The roll over will be prorated 25% as income over the years 1998, 99, 00, 01.

Question: If you qualify for the roll over by filing married filing jointly in 1998, is there an IRS requirement that you must then file married filing jointly in 1999, 00, 01 or can you file married filing separately in 1999, 00, 01? Do you have an IRS reference to this in the IRS regs for 408a or other reference.>>

My take is the joint return is required only in the year of the conversion. In subsequent years, the income must still be reported (i.e., in '99, '00, and '01), but if you file separate returns it would be reported on the return of the IRA owner at the time of conversion. However, I've seen nothing that provides guidance on this either way, so I can't point you to any official pronouncements for verification.

Maybe Kat in Chicagoland can veify or refute this reply. At any rate, I'm sure he can expand upon it.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.