No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Ben, and welcome. You asked:

<<My wife has self employment income (form misc 1099)of about 3000 a year. Can she set up a simple IRA. She does not earn the minimum $5000 I have heard. Also can she do a roth and then a simple as well? re: 1500 in a roth and 1500 in a simple or something like that.>>

No, she may not use the SIMPLE based on her income. She may, though, use a SEP-IRA to have a deductible contribution of up to 15% of her net self-employed income. And she may use a Roth IRA for a contribution of $2K at the same time. The contributions do not offset each other in any way. For details on the SEP, see IRS Publication 560 (Retirement Plans for Small Business) available at

<<Other question. I have a 401k at work. I also have self employement income. I can contribute 10500 to my 401k. If I wanted to, could I do say 6000 in my 401k and then put 4500 in my simple IRA, so long as the total is not more than 10500.>>

Yes, you may do that if you are eligible for and use a SIMPLE. But you could use a SEP-IRA and still put the maximum $10.5K in your 401K at the same time. A SEP-IRA contribution does not affect the amount you may contribute to a 401K.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.