No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Beth, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I was working in 1999 up until October, but then left to stay home with our newborn. So, I imagine that for 1999, I can make a contribution since I had "earned income".

But, does this mean that (if I choose not to go back to work in 2000) that I will no longer be able to make contributions to a Roth IRA (having no earned income)?

-- Or, am I still okay if my husband and I file jointly? (Since he will continue working, and our AGI will be under $100,000) >>

As long as you file a joint return, you do not have to be working to contribute to an IRA. Only your spouse does. If he has sufficient income (i.e., $4K), then both of you may contribute to your own separate Roths at $2K each.

Print the post  


The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.