UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75649  
Subject: Re: After Retirement?? Date: 8/31/1999 3:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, BGPenhollo, and welcome. You wrote:

<<My mother,73, has recently asked for my help with her investments. Initial review indicates that she should shed her Govt (Tax exempt) Mutual Funds - Her tax rate is (I think)18%. It's above the minimum but not the 28% bracket. She holds a 5 star Short Term bond fund which looks like a good candidate to move to. Is moving from Govt Mutual Funds to Short Term more appropriate for her retirement.

The area I need some advice is she was sold (I prefer to believe scammed) into rolling over her IRA into a Franklin Variable Annuity. I believe she should be invested elsewhere. She is beyond the 5 year surrender fee but how does she roll this back into a mutual fund and keep it under the IRA umbrella or at her age should she keep the IRA at all. If she keeps the money invested in an IRA acct, how do we calculate her yearly minimum withdrawal now that she's over 70 1/2?>>

If she's 73 and if the annuity is inside an IRA, then she has already begun mandatory minimum required distributions from that IRA in the form of a term certain or life annuity. You would need to check with the issuer to see what pay-out method they are using. If it can be surrendered for remaining cash value, then that's the payout method you will have to continue using in the new IRA.

<<Isn't putting a VA in an IRA much like buying Tax Free Bonds for an IRA. Is there any place to report agents who sell inappropriate investment products?>>

Well, it is rather like wearing a raincoat indoors when it's raining outside, but you would have a hard time proving that a vehicle that provides a reasonable stream of guaranteed income for someone for someone your mother's age is an inappropriate product. Indeed, many would argue that an annuity is a very appropriate product in that situation. We Fools don't necessarily agree with that, but the rest of the world may.

Regards..Pixy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement