No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Bryan, and welcome. You asked:

<<For several years, I have worked as self-employed independent contractor for a company, and I always received a 1099 at the end of the year. Now I get payed through a payroll service for the same company, which means a W-2 at the end of the year. There is no retirement plan offered, and so I'm wondering if I can take part in a Keogh or SEP or what? Can I set one of these up myself or do I need a CFP? >>

Nope. Now that you're a W-2 employee of that company, you are not eligible to open a SEP or Keogh. The best you will be able to do for tax deferral is a traditional IRA.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.