UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jbking Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: Re: Un'Balancing' My IRA Date: 2/14/2002 7:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings C,

I am a rookie in the field of Mutual Funds so I am probably not using all of the terms correctly.

So, here are a few links for getting some of the basics down:

http://www.fool.com/school/mutualfunds/basics/intro.htm
http://personal.vanguard.com/educ/inveduc.html
http://moneycentral.msn.com/articles/invest/invfund/contents.asp?p=2

As well as Morningstar's University section, www.mfea.com and others.

Some terms like Growth do have multiple meanings so that in one context it means capital appreciation so that it is a contrast to an income fund that may have an objective of more dividends and interest than investing in rising stocks. The other main definition of growth and the one I'm used to is that of growth in contrast to value when looking at valuations and how a fund invests: Will the fund manager buy stocks with higher multiples, eg what Janus did well, or is there an impression that this fund manager hunts among stocks that have low valuations, eg Oakmark, Dodge & Cox invest this way.

Balanced funds just invest in stocks and bonds and so there can be some aggressive funds like Janus Balanced(JABAX) or something more conservative like Dodge & Cox Balanced(DODBX) but there are also those more in the middle like that Balanced Index fund I mentioned before. Over the past couple of years value seems to have done very well and growth hasn't looked good.

Regards,
JB
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement