UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75340  
Subject: Re: 401K rollover / Roth IRA Date: 9/25/1997 8:47 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Clyde28, and welcome to Fooldom.

<<1) Is there any way of rolling my money out of my employer's 401K and into a self-directed IRA pre-tax and without quitting? >>

In general, short of quitting, becoming disbled, or retiring the answer is no.

<<The information I've gathered indicates that the best way to go about this is to get my employer to switch 401K providers. That concept makes my eyes cross.>>

Well, it may not be easy, but it can be done. If the investment committee of the plan keeps getting demands from participants to add this option, sooner or later they will give in and add it as an option. The problem is most folks don't want it. That's because they have absolutely no concept of what they can do on their own and are fearful of trying. If you can gather a number of like-minded employees together, though, and if all of you demand this option, you will more likely than not succeed.

<<2) If not, what is the minimum taxable percentage I can attain?>>

Sorry, I have absolutely no idea what you're driving at with this question.

<<3) As an employee of a company with a 401K, what other options are out there for getting pre-tax dollars invested?>>

Probably not. You might be eligible for a fully or partially deductible IRA based on your filing status and Adjusted Gross Income. See IRS Publication for details. You can get that by calling 1-800-TAX-FORM or download it on-line at http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/prod/forms_pubs/index.html.

<<4) Is there a FAQ out concerning the Roth IRA?>>

I haven't written one yet, and I'm not sure if TMF Taxes has, either. But you can read about them in previous messages in this folder and in the Tax Strategies folder as well

Regards………Pixy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement