Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings Corey:
I am currently contributing $500 a month to my 403b.

I want to up it to $700 a month. How much does the IRS allow me to contribute - is it a dollar amount or a percentage of my income?

Contribution limits to 403b and similar plans for 2003 is $12,000.

Does contributing to a Roth or any other retirement plan affect the amount I can put into my 403b?

No, but what affects you qualification to contribute to a Roth IRA is your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI). If you're single and your AGI is $95,000 or less, you qualify to fully fund a Roth. If married your AGI must be $150,000 or less to do so.

You should check out the Tax FAQ for much more on Roth and retirement plan issues, or the Fool's retirememt area, as it's important to keep informed on these matters if you're going to be contributing to one of both vehicles.



Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.