UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75629  
Subject: Re: Dilemma Date: 12/23/1999 11:02 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Dave, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I have a small dilemma. I plan to sell some stock in the next three months for a substantial short term capital gain. If I sell before the end of the year, I will have to pay capital gains taxes immediately, but my AGI next year would still allow me to contribute to a Roth for Y2K with no effect on my contribution for 1999. If I sell at the beginning of next year, I defer my capital gains taxes for a year, but I would exceed the AGI limits for any Roth IRA contribution. I'm leaning towards the second choice, because I may be able to hold the stock long enough to qualify for long term gain. But I'm not sure if that is worth losing my Roth contribution for Y2K. Any advice would be appreciated!>>

When would you need money from the Roth? $2K compounding for 10 years at 10% annually would grow to $5,187 for a tax-free gain of $3,187. In 20 years, it would grow to $13,455 for a tax-free gain of $11,455. If inflation averaged 3.5% annually, then the present value of those tax-free sums is $2,260 and $5,757, respectively. Thus, one way to evaluate waiting to take a long-term capital gain is to compare your tax savings today against those two numbers. You're just asking yourself if the tax savings today is worth more than the future growth you can get on a $2K contribution to a Roth. So pick your compounding period, rate of return and rate of inflation, and then solve for the present value of the future tax-free growth.

Regards..Pixy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement