UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75826  
Subject: Re: 457 exposure to creditors Date: 9/2/1998 5:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Dennis, and welcome. You wrote:

My spouse is a county employee and she opened a 457 account a little over a year ago. Never having heard of the strange beast that is the 457, I read the literature pretty closely and had some questions for the plan representative. One of them dealt with how much exposure 457 account funds have to county creditors. Visions of Orange County CA were fresh in my mind at the time. The representative said something to the effect that legislation had just been passed (Jan 1997) that would protect these accounts. I am unsure whether he was talking about state legislation (Wisconsin) or federal legislation. And based on a reading of TMFPixy's Retirement Plan Primer, I am beginning to wonder if this legislation exists at all. Call me paranoid, but I do not relish the thought of having what is essentially our money dangling in the breeze that way. Any thoughts out there, or should I actually use the phone to call the plan administrator? Thanks in advance.

One major drawback to a 457 plan is the money must remain subject to the claims of the employer's creditors. I was asked a similar question some time back on the AOL site about this piece of legislation as it pertains to governmental employees. I was unsuccessful in finding anything on the subject anywhere. Therefore, so far as I know nothing has changed in that regard. If the county goes bust, the 457 plan monies will be subject to the claims of creditors.

If someone knows different, pretty please give me the pertinent legal reference/cite so I can verify it.

Regards….Pixy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement