UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 77568  
Subject: Re: Early Retirement Date: 6/13/1998 8:19 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

Greetings, Dpinson, and welcome.

<<The company I work for is offering an early retirement package. If taken, it could be in a lump sum. Is there a way to roll this money into an account and draw interest to live on? Would it be better to do this. Other option, work for another company.>>

Yes, the lump sum may be transferred to a taxable account or to an IRA to continue the tax deferred nature of those funds. Both may be set up with some sort of automatic withdrawal feature to provide you with a regular source of income. However, based on your age, total tax status, and personal situation that may or may not be a good idea. You have to make that decision.

Tell us more about your situation, and perhaps we can be more specific. How old will you be when you receive this money? What kind of income do you expect it to produce? How long must it do so? Where will you invest it? How much is it? With that data, we can provide you more information on what to expect in regards to taxes and income flow.


Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Seadrill Q1 2015 Overview
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.