No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Drkangle, and welcome. You asked:

<<I have GE in my trading account but want to get it moved to my IRA with the same online brokerage company. is it possible to transfer my shares in that trading account to my Roth IRA? Or do I have to sell GE and buy it again with the Roth IRA cash? >>

No, you may not transfer shares from your taxable account to your Roth IRA. Securities may be contributed to an IRA only as part of a rollover from another IRA or from an employer's qualified retirement plan. Otherwise, all IRA contributions must be made in cash. You'll have to sell those shares, deposit the cash, and then repurchase them inside the IRA.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.