No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Ed Jackson, and welcome.

<<I recently switched jobs - and moved my existing 401k into a rollover IRA... now I'm considering if I should move that IRA into a roth IRA.

My concern is that I now make over the AGI limit - whereas when I put the money into the original 401k - I did not. Can I move that money from the rollover IRA into a roth IRA and pay taxes on it for the next 4 years? (and then never pay taxes on it again?)>>

If your modified Adjusted Gross Income is over $100K, you may NOT transfer your existing traditional IRA to a Roth IRA. The fact that your AGI was less in prior years has no bearing on your ability to now transfer traditional IRA money to a Roth. All that counts is your AGI in the year you want to do the transfer.


Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.