No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Eric, and welcome. You asked:

1) About 50% of the income I make is from self-employment. My other ("real") job provides me with a 401(k) plan,
which I have contributed to for several years. My understanding is that this should not be a conflict; It's my employer's plan,
not mine (I'm not maintaining it, to use the IRS language). Is this correct?

Yes, that is correct. If you were setting up a SIMPLE or a Keogh for your self-employed plan, then the answer would be different because then you would be limited to the $10,500 total for the 401k and the self-employed plan combined. That is not true when you use the SEP.

2) I also have a Roth IRA; does this count as a plan that I "maintain?" I don't think it does, but wanted to be sure...

Your contribution to a 401k or even a nondeductible traditional IRA has no impact on what you may contribute to the SEP.

Am I headed the right direction here? I should have set one of these up long ago, but I suppose better late than never
(if it helps in anyone's answer, I'm 28; so retirement is quite a ways off yet).

You bet! And at age 28, you have many years to let that tax-deferred compounding work for you.

Regards..Pixy
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement