Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 27658  
Subject: Greetings, Fool! Date: 4/15/1999 1:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Welcome to Investing Basics! If you've found your
way here, chances are you've either got some
money socked away or you're planning to do so.
What are you saving for? Retirement? College for the kids? A new speaker system complete with woofers and tweeters? An exotic animal menagerie complete with Chihuahuas (woofers) and canaries (tweeters)?
A retirement villa in the sun-baked hills of Tuscany?

These boards are the place to talk about all of the stocks in your portfolio, to make new friends, and to learn about investing with Fools from all four corners of the globe. If you have questions about how to use the message boards, click the 'Help' link. If, after checking the help area, you have additional questions, comments, or concerns, please drop us a note at FoolBoards@fool.com.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: sfcorb One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2 of 27658
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 4/15/1999 1:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello,

I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to be the second post on a board. I'm not a beginner, but I like to answer questions from beginners. I will be checking back here to see if a can help anyone else out. I'm actually an MBA, and a financial analyst. That last sentence stinks of being wise, but I assure you I'm actually quite foolish.

Sam

Author: TMFJeanie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4 of 27658
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 4/15/1999 2:31 PM
Recommendations: 1
<<but I assure you I'm actually quite
foolish.>>

Indeed you are, Sam!

Can't think of anything more Foolish than a willingness to help out beginners. Thanks for kicking off this new folder :)

Cheers,

TMF Jeanie

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6 of 27658
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 4/15/1999 4:16 PM
Welcome, Sam!

It's great having Fools around to help others just starting out.

One question that I see often asked is, "Should I start investing now, or pay off my credit cards first?" Of course the answer to this is to get out of debt first.

If this question applies to any beginner's, another great link is our Credit Card board which can be found at http://boards.fool.com/Registered/Messages.asp?id=1040004000000000

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: raytoei Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6495 of 27658
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 2/16/2004 7:20 AM
To Myself:

Reading these messages from April 1999 is like that Kid in the movie 6th Sense walking around town: Lots and lots of things to discover around here, if you doan mind the lingering dialogues from people no longer with us.

I feel a sense of gloom reading these enthusiastic messages knowing that many would be caught up in the post-bubble apocalypse.

Where were you in April 1999 ?

Author: NechesInvst Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6496 of 27658
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 2/16/2004 9:22 AM

Where was I in April, 1999...?

My investment club was just starting and at the end of April we bought our first stocks. These stocks included: ADC Telecom (ADCT), Apache Oil (APA), Cell Genesys (CEGE) The GAP, Inc. (GPS), National Instuments (NATI) Nortel Networks (NT) TexOil (TXLI) Titan Pharm. (TTP) and of course, Quepasp.com (PASA).

Oh...we didn't know what we were doing--but people we making money buying just about anything. We lost a lot of money before the majority decided to actually learn about investing. (Of course, some in the club still don't want to learn.)

Thanks for the memories,

Mike
--licking wounds from the 'post-bubble apocalypse'.

Author: mattgutting Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23786 of 27658
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 8/12/2010 1:13 AM
I disagree with paying the debt 1st. If your going to get a higher percentage out of the investment than your paying on the debt. Last year is probably a bad example but I made a 400% return on CGA. I'm not dissapointed I didn't put it on debt.

Author: Spiro35 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23853 of 27658
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 9/14/2010 6:50 AM
This is the decision that I just went through. My wife bought a new car and we could have scraped the cash together. Instead we took a 6% loan from the bank and I invested the money with the intent of beating that loan.
Again, any extra money that we scrape together will go towards the portfolio instead of paying off the premium on the loan.

My wife is skeptical, but I have confidence that with the help of all these Fool's I can make it happen . . . and then some!

Author: jackcrow Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23855 of 27658
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 9/14/2010 12:37 PM
Recommendations: 3
Pay off the car

Dividends are less 4%, Bond returns are under 3%. The only thing left is stock price appreciation and that can appear in days, weeks or years.

Here is the math. Historical average of the market 10% cost of your loan 6%. 10 - 6 = 4%. It would be easier and safer to pay off the loan and invest the extra in a 30 yr bond for a 3.81% return. The chances of someone without a defined system and little experience with the stock market crushing historical returns are slim.

Here is the standard route:

Live below your means = all costs are less than money coming in.

No revolving credit carryover = credit cards need to be paid of quickly

6 months or more of living expenses saved

Use longer term loans wisely.(relates to the first point)

Once you have all of the above in order then set aside your stock market education tuition money. 3k 5k 10k cash set aside with no expectations of doing anything marvelous with that money. This money is for the sole purpose of learning. You may make some, you may lose some what is important is that you learn how you react to market and company changes. You need to learn what to buy, when to hold it and when to sell it. You need to figure out how many positions you can manage. You need to borrow and tweak systems until you craft a system that works for you more often than it fails. You need to know a good buy from a bad buy not because the stock price went up or down but based on your own criteria and expectations.

The game is to pick winners more often then losers and knowing that you will pick both.

Pay off the car

jack

Author: profits4fun Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26250 of 27658
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 11/1/2012 4:02 PM
Spiro35,
So I am new to these boards and I am curious... how did things turn out with the car and your attempt at beating the 6% interest via investments?

Author: GingerMaster Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26427 of 27658
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 2/1/2013 2:20 AM
Jack crow, Your comments make a hell of a lot of sense to me. I was crushed first time around in 1999 and stayed in cash till 2005 when i tried again and opened a sep ira. Amidst many losers were 3 smart buys,Apple,Chevron, and Merck. It has taken me 8 years to want to attempt to do again what you outlined. Probably wouldn't even try without a lot of foolish support. In 2013 it is just as scary as it ever was if not more so.

Author: maber Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26477 of 27658
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 2/20/2013 10:06 AM
Hi all,

i am reading an article about VIX and TMF recommend:

We’re buying call options on the VIX for a net cost of only $1.55 each

more precisely you are buying to open options on VIX?

Thank you
maber

Author: fool82013 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26900 of 27658
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 10/15/2013 6:14 AM
I am a beginner and have lots of questions. When you get to be my age and physically challenged for the most part family migrates away from you. buying stocks has energized me. the fisrt question you can comment on is this. I've only bought two stocks so far with the intention of setting up a portfolio the first of the year. How do I set the percentages and types of investments in one.

Author: Mulchinator Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26907 of 27658
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 10/22/2013 2:44 PM
Tony, I am in Aruba as I reply. Today is our last day of a 19 day trip. Read "you have more than you think" on eagle beach. Excited about the new year. When are you in Aruba?

Bob

Author: dfool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27050 of 27658
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 1/8/2014 5:01 PM
Hey Sam:

I'm a newbie and would like to know the best way to start investing. I have a broker managing my SEP IRA but i think it might be expensive for me to do trades with him. Should I open a brokerage account and which brokerage would you recommend for the lowest cost???
Robert

Author: WHOVPLLC One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27165 of 27658
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 2/21/2014 10:50 AM
Who is Sam?

WHOVPLLC

Author: WHOVPLLC One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27166 of 27658
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 2/21/2014 10:55 AM

Where was I in April, 1999...?

My investment club was just starting and at the end of April we bought our first stocks. These stocks included: ADC Telecom (ADCT), Apache Oil (APA), Cell Genesys (CEGE) The GAP, Inc. (GPS), National Instuments (NATI) Nortel Networks (NT) TexOil (TXLI) Titan Pharm. (TTP) and of course, Quepasp.com (PASA).
- NechesInvst | Date: 2/16/2004 9:22:59 AM | Number: 27165

Enjoying our two bedroom condo just steps from the Pacific Ocean in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii. Drinking 100% Kona coffee: PuuNaniKonaCoffee.com, of course.

WHOVPLLC

Author: dbbeach Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27481 of 27658
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 9/16/2014 5:25 PM
I'm new and only have a few shares of SWIR to start. I only have $700 more to start investing and $100 a month after that. What should I buy first? Is it ok to buy just one share of an expensive stock?
Thanks

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement