Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 32  
Subject: Greetings, Fool! Date: 1/15/2002 11:26 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Welcome to The Motley Fool Discussion Boards, we're glad you're here. These boards are the place to talk about all of the stocks in your portfolio, to make new friends, and to learn about investing with Fools from all four corners of the globe. If you have questions about how to use the Discussion Boards, click the 'Help' link. If, after checking the help area, you have additional questions, comments, or concerns, please drop us a note at FoolBoards@fool.com. Contact BoardRequests@fool.com to request a new board or FAQ link.

Got money questions? Your answers are just a phone call away!
http://www.fool.com/landing/ma/landing42b6.htm?source=CSBO03130
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Urban123 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2 of 32
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 1/15/2002 12:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I don't know who requested this board. Any forum where the glory of God can be praised is a good thing. Nonetheless, I pray here today that we don't further segment and divide the body of Christ as we seek to divide ourselves along theological, religious or worship lines. We belong to Christ, regardless of that which divides us.

May all who come here do so as true believers in Christ showing love towards God, and love and mercy towards our neighbors as well.

NKJV Mark 9:38-41 Now John answered Him, saying, "Teacher, we saw someone who does not follow us casting out demons in Your name, and we forbade him because he does not follow us."

But Jesus said, "Do not forbid him, for no one who works a miracle in My name can soon afterward speak evil of Me. For he who is not against us is on our side. For whoever gives you a cup of water to drink in My name, because you belong to Christ, assuredly, I say to you, he will by no means lose his reward.</>

Author: sunonun Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4 of 32
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 1/15/2002 1:59 PM
Uhhh...

crapple... Rick... glampig...

What's up?

sunonun

Author: glampig Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5 of 32
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 1/15/2002 2:20 PM
Recommendations: 1
It's our son's screen name. We got into a discussion about body piercing this weekend. I told him I would do a poll about the topic and was going to do so using his name because the subject is too sensitive <g> for me. I just hadn't gone over to the CF board yet to do the poll using his name. He told me his password and I started looking around forgetting I had logged in using his name. Seeing Urban123's post, I responded. I requested the post be pulled from this board and will post it again.
Rick, the glampig

Author: sunonun Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6 of 32
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 1/15/2002 2:29 PM
I'll be praying for your son, Rick. I remember him (I think) asking for some help about a sensitive issue over on the CF.

sunonun

Author: glampig Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7 of 32
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 1/15/2002 2:30 PM
Recommendations: 3
Urban123,

< I don't know who requested this board. >

I did. It might reduce some tension on the Bible Studies Daily board. Many become frustrated with Calvinist positions. This could be a good place for them to let off some steam.

< Any forum where the glory of God can be praised is a good thing. Nonetheless, I pray here today that we don't further segment and divide the body of Christ as we seek to divide ourselves along theological, religious or worship lines. We belong to Christ, regardless of that which divides us. >

We agree. Not all share this view, however. I do hope this board is a success.

Rick, the glampig

Author: glampig Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8 of 32
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 1/15/2002 2:32 PM
sunoun,

< I'll be praying for your son, Rick. >

Thanks. His world is in major turmoil right now. We're praying he will return to the Lord. I'll e-mail you privately about it.

Rick, the glampig

Author: tedhimself Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9 of 32
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 1/15/2002 7:18 PM
Recommendations: 2
Rick I did. It might reduce some tension on the Bible Studies Daily board. Many become frustrated with Calvinist positions. This could be a good place for them to let off some steam.

and besides, this may give us a good opportunity to learn about Arminianism. We have learned quite a bit about Calvinism on CF and BSD, It will be nice and also educational to get a different viewpoint.
Ted

Author: glampig Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10 of 32
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 1/16/2002 9:44 AM
Recommendations: 2
tedhimself,

< besides, this may give us a good opportunity to learn about Arminianism. >

Good point, Ted. One of my problems with Arminianism is that it appears God is not in charge. The inmates have taken over the asylum and relegated God's will to the sidelines. That's never the issue with Calvinism. We know who's running things around here. Consequently, I do wonder how my Arminian friends can have confidence in a God so easily pushed around. Then again, maybe my view of Arminianism is incorrect. It wouldn't be the first time!

Rick, the questioning glampig

Author: sunonun Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12 of 32
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 1/16/2002 10:46 AM
Recommendations: 5
Rick,

If you have a misunderstanding about Arminianism, it's one of perspective.

One of my problems with Arminianism is that it appears God is not in charge.

I think of God's control over His creation like a military general. Does a general actively control each private's every move? No. What he does is train them to do what will win in the end. He gives them situationally similar scenerios (alliteration :-) to the war that they are being prepared for. He gives them offensive, defensive and communications equipment. He teaches them to use each piece effectively. At different levels of development (and according to aptitudes), He instills in them strategies, ways of dealing with enemies, instructions for managing subordinates, a respect and ability to perceive specific talents and/or abilities in subordinates in order to develop them. He gives them a chain of authority to which they should submit and entrust their lives. He does everything he can to make sure that they are fully prepared, but he won't fight the battle for them.

Of course, this is a human situation being compared to divinity, but much of the comparison stands. Gathering an men is not very difficult. However, making an army out of these men is quite an undertaking.

God is not dependent on us, but He does want us to be matured sons - not just a bunch of babies to look after all eternity. Maturity is a process - a process that God has graciously allowed for His creation.

The Father has decreed, before the world's foundations were laid, that His Son should be betrothed to a Bride that has been prepared by the Holy Spirit to be Holy, even as He is Holy, and without spot or wrinkle.

The preparation of Esther is a great parallel to this Bridal preparation that the Holy Spirit has charge over.

sunonun

Author: anniemaccioli Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20 of 32
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 1/16/2002 7:49 PM
Recommendations: 3
Hi :-)

Personally? I've always seen God as very much in charge! I look at it this way, He hasn't ever changed. Adam and Eve disobeyed Him and no one has ever looked at that as God not being in charge. They didn't listen to Him, and He had every right to wash His hands of everything then, but He didn't. He loves us so much He gave us another chance. I don't understand why but I don't need to, I love Him for it. He decided to give us another chance. All of us. He still isn't controlling us, though. We choose. He set the terms. We either get back to Him through Jesus or we don't. It's easy but for some it isn't. Some still don't believe and never will but as long as we all do our part with witnessing no one will be able to say they weren't told!

:-) This board might be okay!

~Annie~

Author: anniemaccioli Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21 of 32
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 1/16/2002 8:59 PM
Recommendations: 4
I'm looking at it from another angle now. Yes God is in control. He controls where we go. He laid out the condition, "Me through Jesus". No exceptions, that's control. If we don't accept His condition, we go to Hell. No exceptions. If we accept His condition, we go to Heaven. He is in control. The fact that some will not listen does not mean He is not in control, because His condition has been set. He's not changing it. He didn't have to send Jesus, but He did. That doesn't make Him weak. That makes Him loving. Love is strength. He doesn't need to argue with us and He won't. I think it's the best example of tough love there is. I don't have children yet, but I have students. It isn't always easy to follow through with consequences when they disobey us but we have to. When it involves seeing someone you love go to hell for eternity? That's strength. Corey says God's a man's man. :-)

I also still believe what I said on the other board. We have all been commissioned to go out and preach the "good news" of salvation through Jesus. If I preach good news and how to be saved to someone God decided years ago to not accept, then there is no good news for that person and I've lied to them because God already knows He doesn't want them. Ugh.

Back to school tomorrow for me! :-)

~Annie~

Author: HisDelight Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25 of 32
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 1/21/2002 12:19 AM
*LOL* All of this stuff that at one time I wished I never knew existed, but save one there are some pretty interesting posts here. I might learn in spite of myself. *g* Good idea, Rick. I hope it's a success, too.

Pam

Author: MechanicalMethod Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26 of 32
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 4/2/2002 12:21 AM
Greetings Fools!

Author: zeegirly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27 of 32
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 4/2/2002 1:10 AM
Hello, MM! :)

Zee

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement