Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7  
Subject: Greetings, Fool! Date: 1/15/2007 7:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Welcome to The Motley Fool Discussion Boards, we're glad you're here. These boards are the place to talk about all of the stocks in your portfolio, to make new friends, and to learn about investing with Fools from all four corners of the globe. If you have questions about how to use the Discussion Boards, click the 'Help' link. If, after checking the help area, you have additional questions, comments, or concerns, please drop us a note at FoolBoards@fool.com. Contact BoardRequests@fool.com to request a new board or FAQ link.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: LLobinske Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2 of 7
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 1/15/2007 9:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Wow, what a surprise! I've had a grand total of one post and thought it would be cool to see a comic book board in Hobbies & Interests. Wasn't sure if I thought I would get it - certainly didn't expect it this fast! Wow. (I thought that was worth repeating.) And cool.

Okay, well, I guess I'll introduce myself. My name is Louise Lobinske and I was thrilled to hear that Marvel was a Fool recommendation. So I bought it for my IRA. I've been reading comics off and on (mostly on) for the last 29 years, My first comic (worth mentioning) was a copy - battered by now, I'm sure - of Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #18. My current subscriptions include most of the Spider-Man books, Ultimate FF, Powers and (just so you don't think I'm a complete Marvel zombie) Ex Machina and Planetary. I'm hopelessly behind on Spawn and wish I had the money to buy Witchblade on a regular basis. I enjoyed the Witchblade and Birds of Prey series - just sorry they were so short-lived. My greatest dream come true as a long-time comic fan in general (and Spidey fan in particular) was seeing the first Spider-Man movie, which, yes, actually brought tears to my eyes. The best comic book movie ever made, however, I have to say that honor goes to Batman Begins. It just raised the bar so high; I was completely blown away (found the Tim Burton movies UNWATCHABLE by comparison). In other DC stuff, I really liked the George Perez Wonder Woman (and still miss her).

Okay, that's plenty about my comic preferences to start with. Now it's your turn. What do you read? What do you think of Marvel's Civil War? What about the trend toward making comic books more TV-like - good, bad, or otherwise? Do you think I'm crazy for liking Spider-Man so much?

I guess it was pretty forward of me to request a new board, being so new here and all...Hope you all don't mind. I'm really surprised there wasn't a comic book board here already.

LLobinske

Author: TMFSelena Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3 of 7
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 2/4/2007 9:07 PM
Recommendations: 1
Hi, Louise --

You might find some posts of interest on this board: The Comic Book Reader:

http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?bid=116028

It it's a busy board, but it's got a few posts.

Cheers!

Selena

Author: LLobinske Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4 of 7
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 2/20/2007 9:43 PM
Hi Selena,

Thanks. (insert sheepish icon here) I noticed it after my foolish (note lower case) board request. It was okayed so quickly that it seems automated; I'm surprised there wasn't a human at the other end to accept or reject board requests...

Anyway, I might head over there and see how brave I'm feeling...

Louise

Author: TMFBreakerTAllan Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5 of 7
Subject: Re: Greetings, Fool! Date: 5/19/2007 9:00 PM
Louise;

Sorry for the delay in posting. Just saw this board.

Interesting set of books you follow. I have been collecting Amazing Spiderman since the 70's - missed a few years in the 80's, but never went back to fill in the collection.

What was your take on the S3 movie? I thought the effects outshadowed the first two, but found the movie a bit long. Liked it and will likely see it a few times more once the DVD comes out.

As for my current reading - I am about two years behind, I can't comment on Civil War, having read only the beginning. As for books I don't miss - I get all Matt Wagner written and drawn books - still have to read the latest Batman series he did. Also the Astro City books become must reads.

I still buy the FF and a few of the Spiderman titles. Every few months I look at some DC comics to see what is happening with Batman, but rarely keep up.

And finally, the guilty pleasure confession - loved the DC Metal Men comics from the late 60's and 70's.

T. Allan

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement