Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
Greetings Fools,

I arrived here about 12 years ago. At the time I had just retired and had pulled my investments from a full service investment company that was not performing to my expectations. I had a pretty good idea of how to get where I wanted to go, but was searching for some investing ideas for individual investments and portfolio management. This was the best thing I found and is still better than most others I have come across. And the technical construction of the forum is second to none.

When I first signed up, I was a lot more active as I went about rebuilding my portfolio and educating myself. About five years ago, I had pretty much decided what I wanted my portfolio to look like and how I would manage my investments. My portfolio can best best described as "Long Tern Buy & Hold" with a 75/25% Equity/FI weighting and an emphasis on income production. As such, I seldom make any trades apart from re-balancing, and I tend to let my winners run. This means that I am no longer really looking for stock ideas and my portfolio is running better than I expected so why tamper with it. I also found that posts I made no longer seemed to generate the same interest so I took that to mean that board members were not interested in the same things I was. Which all boils down to me being less active here.

The other thing that I have noticed here, is that those who are posting rend to be focusing on a narrow segment of the market and many of the companies discussed are of little interest to me. Another reason for me to be less active.

I still check in regularly to see if there is anything interesting going on and will dip my oar in the water if I think I can contribute in a worthwhile manner. I would like to see this group more active and would be sad to see it go. Is TMF being supplanted by the likes of Facebook & Twitter? I hardly see anything investing related on Facebook that is worth reading. And how in depth could any discussion be on Twitter with its posting limits?

I think TMF has a future, but only if it remains relevant to the folks how use it. Since that depends upon all of us, we will decide.

Bob
Print the post  

Announcements

The Great Foolish North
Canadian social and off-topic banter.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement