UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75402  
Subject: Re: Is my 401(k) provider playing funny games? Date: 12/18/1998 8:45 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, FreeFlyingFool, and welcome. You asked:

<<I'm not sure if this is the right board for this question, but hear me out. My employer switched to Prudential as its 401(k) provider a number of months ago. In the months since then, a few of us have noticed some strange games going on with regard to the timing of deposits. We're paid monthly, and you might be tempted to think that our retirement money would therefore be deposited monthly. Oddly, that's not the case.

Sometimes, no money is deposited in a given month. Other times, we see a double deposit. Still other times, the right amount of money goes in, but it's delayed (for example, the money from my September 1 paycheck wasn't actually invested until October 9th).

I have several questions:

1) Is this in any way normal?
2) Is this in any way legal?
3) Does anybody else have a similar story?
4) Is this more likely the fault of Prudential or my employer?>>

Your employer has until the 15th business day of the month following the month of the deduction to deposit your contribution into your 401k account. In the example you cited, that time limit was met. However, if that's not the case with other deposits, then you have legitimate grounds for a complaint and should pursue the matter with your employer. The rules are quite clear and quite strict. If your employer cannot provide a satisfactory explanation and/or if the problem persists, then you should complain to the Department of Labor, the government agency response for enforcing this requirement on employers.

Regards….Pixy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Name of the Game: Tax Avoidance
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement